[SOLVED] Help installing Avidemux on Vector Linux 7.0 please.

Started by Fleabag, January 01, 2012, 10:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleabag

I'm new at trying to use Vector Linux 7.0, and I was wondering if anyone could help me in trying to install Avidemux on it. Here is the result of my attempt so far -

fleabag:$ slapt-get --install avidemux_2.5.6.tar.gz
/home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages: Permission denied
Please update permissions on /home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages or run with appropriate privileges

Thanks in advance.

Jan Gruuthuse

I'm not familiar with your flavor of Linux? Did you unpack avidemux_2.5.6.tar.gz in /home/ has a lot of folders in it. then you need to compile with instructions similar to this and fitting your linux.
http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=build:install_2.5

Vector Linux is missing the sudo?
Quoteother Linux distros, unlike Ubuntu, do not often use sudo. Instead in a terminal just type "su", then the root password and you become root and can then do almost anything. Be careful! Do not run as root unless necessary...
only use this only where it says sudo. Otherwise some files cannot be accessed by the user and only by root.

if unpacked, go in to the Folder and for:
bootStrap.sh Mark in Properties: Permissions: Execute: [v]  Allow executing file as program.

Fleabag

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on January 02, 2012, 07:07:11 AM
if unpacked, go in to the Folder and for:
bootStrap.sh Mark in Properties: Permissions: Execute: [v]  Allow executing file as program.
Please try to explain (in layman's terms, if possible).

Jan Gruuthuse

when you unpacked the files in a folder the file bootStrap.sh is not set to execute. You have to select the properties of that file and mark it to execute. On a Graphic desktop right mouse click on that file and select that properties. Or the equivalent procedure in Vector Linux 7.0. then you can execute that script. That is if you fulfilled the Prerequisites for compiling Avidemux 2.5.x, by giving following instruction in a terminal window
sudo ./bootStrap.sh or it's equivalent in Vector Linux.

Jan Gruuthuse

Fleabag

HELP!!! I tried running bootStrap.sh as an executable file and nothing happened. So what do I do now?  I even tried to use version 2.5.4 (which is offered as an add-on to Vector Linux 7.0) to edit a .mpg video file in the hopes of comparing the results between that and the Windows version, and The results were rather interesting because:

1.) After loading the video file in question, An error message popped up which said that no audio decoder was found.
2.) Upon deciding to go ahead anyway and try out the video filters, I clicked the "Filters" button, and the Filters window pops up - but with NO filters listed ANYWHERE.
3.) When I tried the "Configure" button, a message popped up saying that Avidemux had crashed.

Jan Gruuthuse

you opened a terminal window, where you get the flashing cursor?
you changed to the folder where the unpacked avidemux 2.6 is in?
What is the message after you executed that script? If terminal closes before you can read anything, need to change its behavior. So it stays open.
While terminal is open in it's menu bar: Edit : Profile Preference
Change to: When command exits: Hold the terminal open

Fleabag

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on January 05, 2012, 06:17:39 AM
when you unpacked the files in a folder the file bootStrap.sh is not set to execute. You have to select the properties of that file and mark it to execute. On a Graphic desktop right mouse click on that file and select that properties. Or the equivalent procedure in Vector Linux 7.0. then you can execute that script. That is if you fulfilled the Prerequisites for compiling Avidemux 2.5.x, by giving following instruction in a terminal window
sudo ./bootStrap.sh or it's equivalent in Vector Linux.

I tried using the Vector Linux equivalent of "sudo" which is "su" and got the following result:

root:# su ./bootStrap.sh
Unknown id: ./bootStrap.sh

So What do I do now?

Jan Gruuthuse

Looks like su is thinking you're trying to execute as an other user?
You're running as root? Then you don't need su, I guess, you're already root? Go 1st in folder where you have ./bootStrap.sh
cd /home/avidemux_2.5_branch_gruntsterUse folder names you did use. Then enter this command in terminal:
./bootStrap.sh
su --help
I'm not familiar at all with your choice of Linux (Vector Linux). You can't expect of others to figure out how this should work.

Fleabag

I tried that method (as root), and got the following result:

vector:/~/avidemux_2.5.6
root:# ./bootSplash.sh
bash: ./bootSplash.sh: No such file or directory

And for what it's worth, I had just switched to Vector Linux 7.0 from Windows 7 about 4 or 5 days ago.

Jan Gruuthuse

Where you try to execute bootStrap.sh, give this command:
dir bootStrap.sh
If no reply? bootStrap.sh is not there.
If reply: have you changed the permission of bootStrap.sh as explained in Reply #7?
When I pass in terminal root terminal ./bootStrap.sh the script executes and starts compiling:
Quoteroot@DH67BL:/home/jan/avidemux_2.5_branch_gruntster# ./bootStrap.sh
* Avidemux simple build script *
* Need sudo to install libs *
* Building Main *
Is not working: I'm not at location where bootStrap.sh  is!
Quotejan@DH67BL:~$ sudo ./bootStrap.sh
[sudo] password for jan:
sudo: ./bootStrap.sh: command not found
jan@DH67BL:~$
start terminal and go to location where bootStrap.sh  is!
Quotejan@DH67BL:~$ cd avidemux_2.5_branch_gruntster
prompt changed an showing the location I'm in!
Quotejan@DH67BL:~/avidemux_2.5_branch_gruntster$ sudo ./bootStrap.sh

when you unpacked avidemux 2.5.6 as user this would have been at the user /home in folder you assigned for it.
When you boot as root: the root /home is not the same as user /home!

you switch locations? while doing this?
vector:/~/avidemux_2.5.6
root:# ./bootSplash.sh

try these at the user prompt vector:/~$
cd avidemux_2.5.6
prompt showing vector:/~/avidemux_2.5.6$
su
answer with your password!
prompt should change to some thing like this root:/home/vector/avidemux_2.5.6#
no you should be able to:
./bootStrap.sh

By the way, It is only 6 months since I'm working in Ubuntu (linux), your choice to pick less documented Vector Linux 7.0 (slackware)
http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=build:install_2.5

Fleabag

I FINALLY got the "bootStrap.sh" file to work, unfortunately however, the last few lines of output were as follows:

Linking CXX static library libADM_guiQt4_qt4.a
[ 88%] Built target ADM_guiQt4_qt4
Linking CXX shared library libADM_coreAudio.so
[ 88%] Built target ADM_coreAudio
make: *** [all] Error 2
*** fail make_main ***

What do you suggest that I try in order to resolve that issue (if it is, in fact, a problem)?

Agent_007

Did you check from build log what is the actual error?
I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)