News:

--

Main Menu

Impossible to add subtitles, they don't appear

Started by wanttobefree, April 15, 2012, 11:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanttobefree

Hello,
I don't know why I can't add subtitles to a avi video clip. I made the subtitle with the free software "Subtitle edit 3.2.3" and then I saved it in *.srt format, I tried to add it to the video clip in Avidemux using the filter "Subtitler" but the subs don't appear neither in the preview nor after saving the video. So I tried converting the subtitle in *.ass and using the filter ASS/SSA, and after I tried also converting in *.ssa, but they still don't appear. What do I do wrong?
Thank you

Jan Gruuthuse

Are you using the preview window in filter?
Try the preview player window: using this icon: in Qt version
or in GTK: Preview mode:
  • Input ââ,¬â€œ display input (unfiltered) video in the main window
  • Output ââ,¬â€œ display filtered output in the main window
  • Side ââ,¬â€œ display both input and output in the main window, horizontally
  • Top ââ,¬â€œ display input and output stacked vertically
  • Separate ââ,¬â€œ display input in the main window and output in a separate window

When converting .SRT to ASS/SSA did you use an existing truetype font on your system?

wanttobefree

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on April 16, 2012, 06:29:56 AM
Are you using the preview window in filter?
Try the preview player window

I have already tried both but neither of them is showing the subtitles, I tried also to save the clip anyway but they don't appear even in the file saved  :(

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on April 16, 2012, 06:29:56 AMWhen converting .SRT to ASS/SSA did you use an existing truetype font on your system?

I only saved the file with "Subtitle Edit" in these different formats, because it didn't ask me about the font. Should I do it? However they are working when I open them with a player like VLC.
Instead with Subtitler filter I copied a font from the Windows/Font directory to the Desktop and then I specified it in the window of the filter.
It is strange because some weeks ago I tried with Subtitler with a different video and it worked...

Jan Gruuthuse

VLC is reading .srt subtitle and displaying the subtitles on top of the video.
Avidemux is burning subtitles in the video images. What version of avidemux are you using. Could be other users have to jump in here, don't have windows, running on Ubuntu here.

wanttobefree

Yes I know, I told you about VLC to explain that the srt/ass/ssa are working, the problem is in Avidemux (I suppose).

Jan Gruuthuse

What version of avidemux are you using.
in this posting: http://www.avidemux.org/smf/index.php?topic=10523.msg56687#msg56687 are 2 subtitle files attached