Help with split MPG files please.

Started by Fleabag, April 23, 2012, 08:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleabag

I use Vector Linux 7.0 as my computer's operating system, and I would appreciate knowing (in laymen's terms, if possible) how to prevent Avidemux from splitting  MPG files. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jan Gruuthuse

Just tested with avidemux 2.5.6. This is not happening here Should not happen in MPG container, this is a limitation in AVI container 2GB limit. In preferences you can change this behavior to use OpenDML to pass this boundary.
If not using AVI as output format, there could be other reasons for this behavior.

Fleabag

Could the fact that I had the quantizer set at a value of 2 have anything to do with it? I did that in the hope that it would help to improve the quality of the video output. Also, I do have the OpenDML option checked.

Jan Gruuthuse

Most likely not: Quantization (signal processing). What version of avidemux 2.5 is used? What mpeg option(s)/version is used? Are you using Auto Wizard: DVD/Super video CD/video CD? Still have no idea why your video is split?
Are you batch processing or loaded video and appended in avidemux? So many possibilities and so less information you provide for us to go on? Could even be an issue of the media format used? In what size(s) is your video split?

Fleabag

I am using Avidemux 2.5.6 with the "mpeg2enc" option along with Auto Wizard: DVD, processing a single file, with the quantizer set at 2. When I reset the quantizer back to the default of 4, however, the file in question is NOT split. (the original size of the file in question is about 4.5 GIG).

Jan Gruuthuse

When using autowizard DVD, this is geared/fine tuned to fit content on a regular DVD. If you tweak these settings afterwards, the balance is gone, creating larger files that no longer fit on dvd. If you increase quality settings (producing more data) and the video no longer fits on dvd.
Hope this explains what is happening.

Fleabag

Yes it does help to explain it, But to be perfectly honest,  I was hoping that there is a way to override the file splitting feature, because there are DVDs available now that have can hold up to 8.5 GIG of data. So is there any way to do that?

Jan Gruuthuse

With AutoWizard DVD, DVD-5 4.7GB (Single-Sided Single Layer) 120 minutes is what we have currently in 2.5.6. If you want 4 hours on DVD-9? The dvd option creates video up to 2 hours. If that is the case make 2 parts of 2 hours using AutoWizard dvd option.
  • make 2 parts of 2 hours using AutoWizard dvd option
  • in avidemux again load the 1st 2 hour part
  • append 2nd 2 hour part
  • set both Video and Audi to Copy
  • set Format: MPEG-PS (A+V)
  • save
You have now a 4 hour clip that can be handled by an DVD authoring program to convert that MPEG to the DVD file hierarchy.

If you want something else for DVD-9 8.5GB (Single-Sided Double Layer)? Think you have to make a request for this feature and explain very well what you want.

nibbles

I used to try to burn to DVD-9 several years ago at the height of the DVD craze, before BluRays were invented.  I bought three different brands, including TDK and Verbatim iirc.  60% of them failed miserably, costing a tremendous amount of wasted time and money.  I would be highly skeptical that you will have success burning to DVD-9s now that DVDs are much less popular.  If you're just going to store the VOBs on flash, that's ok.

Fleabag

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on April 26, 2012, 06:38:22 PM
With AutoWizard DVD, DVD-5 4.7GB (Single-Sided Single Layer) 120 minutes is what we have currently in 2.5.6. If you want 4 hours on DVD-9? The dvd option creates video up to 2 hours. If that is the case make 2 parts of 2 hours using AutoWizard dvd option.
  • make 2 parts of 2 hours using AutoWizard dvd option
  • in avidemux again load the 1st 2 hour part
  • append 2nd 2 hour part
  • set both Video and Audi to Copy
  • set Format: MPEG-PS (A+V)
  • save
You have now a 4 hour clip that can be handled by an DVD authoring program to convert that MPEG to the DVD file hierarchy.

If you want something else for DVD-9 8.5GB (Single-Sided Double Layer)? Think you have to make a request for this feature and explain very well what you want.

Where on this forum do I post feature suggestions?

Jan Gruuthuse

My guess would be in User interface and Usability as you want an expansion in the auto section?

Fleabag