Do NOT install this. (I will get banned, and this post will be deleted)

Started by cone, July 27, 2012, 12:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cone

Too all!

Installing Avidemux has fried my CPU!

Now it runs hot doing minor tasks. Do not install and use this software. It uses 100% of your CPU regardless of power. it's a killer.

I'm sure this post will be deleted as soon as any moderator spots it, so those few who gets to read it, spread this post other place.

mean

yes
It is also why the stock exchange crashed in 2008
and probably killed kennedy

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: cone on July 27, 2012, 12:08:32 AM
Too all!

To bad, sh*t happens. I'm now using Avidemux over one year on a daily basis. Processing minor tasks like copying 4 gigabyte from one container to another container hardly uses any cpu power (8%). When encoding and forcing the default settings will use 100% cpu power. Standard stock cooling would cope with this. The motherboard and OS should provide safeguard against overheating when the processor is used at 100% over a prolonged period. If there are cooling problems motherboard and OS should shut down the CPU. The cause of the fried CPU should be searched in that direction. When the cpu cooler or thermal protection is not functioning as it should then yes any program running at 100% cpu power could fry the CPU and this is not the programs fault.

Jan Gruuthuse

re-encoding 720p HDTV video:

Clicking on above desktop screenshot, should show the desktop at 1920x1080.
Right hand shows you processor load and core temperatures
At the bottom you find the GPU core temperature of a passive nvidia GT-520

CPU load Detail cutout:

Process running Detail cutout:

click on these to view details
I've fried CPU's before, if a head sink is not installed as it should, 2 seconds could blow the CPU. A fan not functioning correctly could damage cpu in minutes.
Every six months I carefully vacuum clean the computer case and air duct vents and clean the cpu cooler with a puff of canned air
Keep in mind this is not with the boxed cooler on the core i5-2500K, these temperatures would be 50Ã,° to 70Ã,° C peaking around 80Ã,° C if heatsink/fan was never removed after 1st installment. Removing the sink and putting it on again could easily raise the temperature by 10Ã,° C or more. Operating the CPU above its safe zone.
The used cpu cooler:

DÅ‚ugosz

Quote from: cone on July 27, 2012, 12:08:32 AM

Now it runs hot doing minor tasks. Do not install and use this software. It uses 100% of your CPU regardless of power. it's a killer.

Actually, I found using Avidemux to encode did not peg the cores!  Unlike Cyberlink MediaEspresso which did peg all 6 cores and claims to use the GPU as well, and did in fact make my computer crash from overheating.  I'm running at 4GHz with water cooling, and have never bothered to tune the fan controller on the radiator but just leave it on minimum, which is more than enough for my normal tasks.

Seriously, a computer is not worthy unless it can run Prime95 for 12 hours.  That fried my first motherboard in under a minute (at standard clocks and voltages) and I had to exchange it.  Don't blame software that uses the computer.

I12learn

I roasted my pc too, but I think there was a wrong cooling design.
I'm asking myself why the BIOS didn't intervened timely at the risky temperature.

nop

Quote from: mean on July 27, 2012, 04:55:30 AM
yes
This is true!
Avidemux is also the real cause of 9/11. It sends implacable killer robots back in time to murder developers of competing projects. It is also responsible for both the otherwise completely inexplicable demise of the Commodore Amiga, & OS/2!  >:(

More seriously, I'm really impressed with the performance of Avidemux on my fairly middle of the range Intel i5 box, which happily does more than 330 frames per second filtering & encoding to h264 with 4 core multithreading enabled. Nice work dev's!  :D

coldstatic

Quote from: mean on July 27, 2012, 04:55:30 AM
yes

you might have something there

Bart Z Lederman

I'm actually seeing the opposite problem.

I do not see 100% CPU usage when converting a video.  I would expect Avidemux to be 100%
CPU bound when encoding a video in a new format.  I have reasonably fast disks, and I have
the input file and output file on separate disks so there is little disk conflict: plus, Performance
Monitor shows the Disk I/O to be fairly low.  I have an Intel i7 four dual-thread CPU configured
to run as 8 cores (threads), and Task Manager says all eight are being used.  There is 24 GB
of Memory with a reasonable amount of free memory, and Performance Monitor says there are
very few Hard Faults.  So how do I speed up processing by getting Avidemux to use more CPU?