Instant crash on play in W7x64; how to troubleshoot?

Started by Frankenscript, August 22, 2012, 02:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenscript

Hi folks,

I've been an Avidemux user for about a year and I greatly appreciate the effort that has gone into this program. It used to work great for me, but despite no known significant changes on my part, I'm suddenly getting lots of crashes on my Win7 x64 system (not SP1 yet, though otherwise up to date). I'm using the 64 bit 2.5.6 release, and have seen the same problem on last night's nightly build of 2.6 something. I've done the usual stuff: uninstall/reboot/reinstall, update graphics driver (Radeon HD 4550 is on 12.6 release), yadda yadda.

I load the .avi file in, leaving everything default (video: copy, audio: copy), and the first frame shows fine. I press play, and will hear just an instant of sound, then the program crashes and a dialog box tells me it stopped working. I get this on AVIs from several cameras, generally all at 640x480x30f/s  resolution. Sometimes other resolutions / formats play OK, sometimes not. I've tried using the QT and QT/GL; both crash (I'm not set to use the GL version currently, for testing).

The same problematic files play fine in Avidemux on my home theater PC downstairs (it's Win7 32 bit).

Here's a Rapidshare link to a file that crashes me reproducibly:

https://rapidshare.com/files/500929368/Vagabond Test start clip.avi

Here's a log/crash file after trying to play the above clip:
https://rapidshare.com/files/2810462090/Avidemux log stuff.zip

From the original file I CAN drag the slider around and press the A and B buttons, then successfully save the video (which is how I created this clip).  Sometimes clips saved in this manner play fine when reloaded into Avidemux. Sometimes not. Clips including the start of the original video tend to be more prone to crashing.

The video plays fine in all players (VLC, MPC-HC, WMP, etc.). Virus protection is only MS Security Essentials. No ZoneAlarm.

Please let me know what I can do to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve this. I love this program and wish to get it back to running well for me.

Sincerely,
Frankenscript

Jan Gruuthuse

QuoteThe file of the above link no longer exists. This could be for several reasons:
The uploader deleted the file.
The file contained illegal contents and was deleted from our servers by our Anti-Abuse team.
The link is incorrect.
The server is busy and can not process the request.

Jan Gruuthuse

If you downloaded from nightly try these from http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/ there could be some small differences in how these were built. Try 64-bit if that does not work try 32-bit.
Please confirm if this works better.

Frankenscript

Thanks for the quick reply.

I uninstalled the 2.5.6 (x64) and then installed the latest 2.6 r8142 I believe it was (again, x64). No joy. Same instant crash. I  uninstalled it and then installed the 32 bit version. Same problem. Instant crash.

I appreciate your help... I wonder, could there be anything on my end that is missing/conflicted/out of date that would cause this? I used to be able to run the software just fine except for certain issues with exotic .mov files. AVIs were no sweat. Other than windows updates and MS Security Essentials updates, I don't believe I've installed any major new software since a few months ago when this was working. But I could be wrong.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure the issue is on my end; is there some checklist of things that conflict I could check?

Marc

Jan Gruuthuse

try this version: 2.5.6-1 (7716)   08 Aug 2012

Frankenscript

Did some quick tests. Initial results:

x64 version of 2.5.6-1: No joy. Same crashes.

32 bit: It seems to WORK!!!

I'll test some more later and report back.  What changed in the -1 version?

THANK YOU!

Frankenscript

Did some more tests. So far so good with the AVI files I tested.  :)

I did get crashes when attempting to save (but not when playing) some clips out of a .MOV file (from a different camera, video taken at high speed, no sound track present). I remember having these problems a while back but had found a combination of settings that fixed it, then. (Video: copy, Audio: AAC (faac), save as mp4(psp).  Those settings don't seem to work right now but I ran out of time. That's probably a separate issue from what this thread is about so I'll compartmentalize it and deal with it in another thread if I can't figure it out.

What is the change in -1 that fixes the main issue I had recently? I'm very curious, as well as grateful for the help. Also note that change hopefully needs to get built into the 2.6 release (32 and 64 bit!  8) ) since 2.6 gives the problem.

Frankenscript

Frankenscript

Thanks. It's interesting that the 32 bit version works but not the 64; either way I've got a solution and am happy!