News:

--

Main Menu

Problem saving project after merging MP4 files

Started by kdm181, September 17, 2012, 10:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdm181

Hi, I've merged three MP4 files using the File-->Append function.  I chose "copy" for both the Video and Audio tabs, and "MP4" for the container, and saved it with the .MP4 at the end.  The project saved, but only the first of the three merged videos actually played.  Then the video stopped.  However, the audio for the entire thing kept playing, there just wasn't any video after the end of the first video I merged.  Should I be saving it some other way? 

Thanks!

kdm181

Also, it crashes every time I try to save the "Project".  It only lets me save when I select "Save Video" not "Save Project".

Jan Gruuthuse

Used avidemux version? Manual appending? Or sequential video files where avidemux asks to append and you confirmed by replying yes? Used MP4 muxer?

kdm181

I downloaded this version from the Avidemux website - http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html

2.5.4 QT4/Intel Berlios.de , SourceForge.
MD5 : 39a3624fe08c6187d6f0e88ace3432fe

I believe I did manual appending - I opened the first file I wanted in Avidemux, then went to File and clicked Append and added the second file that follows that first one sequentially, and did the same for the third.  Avidemux didn't ask me to append or confirm anything except whether I wanted to continue with H.264 codec and B-frames or whatever.  I want it to stay H.264 so I clicked "No" so that Avidemux didn't alter that. 

I'm not sure what you mean by MP4 muxer.  This is the first time I've done this and I don't know much about any of this.
Thanks!

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: kdm181 on September 17, 2012, 11:31:24 AM
I
I'm not sure what you mean by MP4 muxer.  This is the first time I've done this and I don't know much about any of this.
Don't know if you have a choice in 2.5.4 to select other mp4 demuxer in Output format?
Check this out:
Howto build Avidemux on OSX 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8 using Homebrew

styrol

QuoteI'm not sure what you mean by MP4 muxer.
Format: MP4

QuoteHi, I've merged three MP4 files using the File-->Append function.  I chose "copy" for both the Video and Audio tabs, and "MP4" for the container, and saved it with the .MP4 at the end.  The project saved, but only the first of the three merged videos actually played.
The videos have to come from the same source (meaning same resolution and encoding etc). You have to re-encode your video(s).

Or use a QuickTime based application (e.g. MPEG Streamclip) to merge your files (using copy&paste) and save the output video as QuickTime Movie (*.mov) without re-encoding.