News:

--

Main Menu

.avi converted to .mp4 will not play

Started by CaliAmChef, September 23, 2012, 03:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaliAmChef

When I try to convert an .avi into an .mp4 using the COPY settings on Video and Audio into MP4 Muxer, I get a file that is unplayable in WMP or iTunes. It does play in VLC.
Using the same settings with 2.5 works fine except is doesn't save the .mp4 extension.

Any ideas?
The original file stats are:

Original .AVI
Video
Length         00:51:25
Frame Width      512
Frame height      384
Data rate      838kbps
Total bitrate      952kbps
Frame rate      25 frames/second

Audio
Bit rate      114kbps
Channels      2 (stereo)
Audio Sample rate   44khz

New .MP4

No details listed when I check the properties.

styrol

The video and audio encoding in the AVI file are not listed, but they are crucial.

Check your file with MediaInfo and post the stats again.

MP4 video encoding standards are: MPEG-4 Part 10 ("MPEG-4 AVC"), MPEG-4 Part 2 ("MPEG-4 ASP")
MP4 most widely used audio encoding standard are: AAC (and less compatible: AC3, MP3)

iTunes only accepts AC3 in M4V container. WMP and iTunes are rather picky on standards whereas VLC and MPlayer are not.

I12learn

I'd point out that the drop menues are doubtful, regarding MP4.
There are 2 items with same name and I hardly guess which is AVC for the video and which PSP settings for the MP4 container.
Wouldn't it be better to have a menu with some more presetting, which will make correct mix&match choise.
The most I'd consider  is that for playing with Sony devices Like PSP an Bravia TV sets, which might be likely a quicktime 7 format.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quick time (apple) supported on Sony devices? Quick time player supports: MPEG-2, H.264 and QuickTime. Don't get confused.
Best you check the manual for supported video formats on the device you use, like for the:
KDL-46EX723: Supported File Formats for DLNAÃ,® and USB Compatible SonyÃ,® TVs