News:

--

Main Menu

Ability to Subtitle in 2.6 (lack of)

Started by Afterthetone, September 26, 2012, 12:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afterthetone

Hi, Just updated from 2.5 to 2.6 and there doesn't seem to be any filters for subtitles. I used to use the SRT facility in 2.5.
Any chance we could have it back?

thanks

Jan Gruuthuse

2.6 only has SSA subtitle support. Check if your player uses/supports external .srt subtitles, in that case you would not need hardcoding (Sony, Samsung, ...)
subtitle .srt test video 23 MB <- download click

channelisland

We currently use Avidemux 2.5 to hard code .srt subtitles into video which is played on television sets.  Without it, we can't upgrade.  Is there any plan to add this 2.5 feature back in?  We really like Avidemux but will have to use something else to embed our subtitles if not.  Thanks very much.

Jan Gruuthuse

2.6 currently only supports .ssa/.ass subtitles.
When playing video from usb stick or over dlna (netwerk media protocol) most current flat screens (done testing myself on samsung B series from 2009) support external .srt files. Main condition the file name must be identical, like this:
- timelapsefotografie640x360.mp4 (.mkv)
- timelapsefotografie640x360.srt
You can download a test video (23 MB) with both files and see if this works for you: Timelapse SRT Demo

channelisland

Thanks for the update and suggestion.  However, we provide VOD content for distribution to cable and telco's, so we don't have specific TV's models or types that are being targeted.  Instead, we hard code the subtitles so they show on any TV in the market they're sold into, IE: Spanish for Mexico, Japanese for Japan, etc.

You indicate ssa/ass files are supported, but as the original poster mentioned, there aren't any subtitle filters in my 2.6 versions subtitles window.  Is there something we are missing?  We can convert our srt files to ass/ssa if necessary.  Thanks again for your help.

Jan Gruuthuse

Yes, depending the source and os (windows) you downloaded, some filters could be missing, this is how I do understand this problem.
Download from http://avidemux.org/nightly/ avidemux_r8244_win32 or avidemux_r8244_win64 use http://www.7-zip.org/ to unpack.
Replace the content of installed avidemux with that from folder "release", sub folders included.
If you don't find with video loaded in Video filter Manager -> Subtitles -> Available Filters -> SSA. and have avidemux 64-bit loaded: try with avidemux 32-bit.
See if this helps. If not:
Worst case scenario: install Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS amd-64 (5 year support) alongside your windows. Dual boot from bios boot menu from separate hard disk would be easiest achieved.
Disconnect windows hard disk to preserve windows on your computer while installing (windows hdd:0, ubuntu hdd:1) 10 GB for ubuntu would suffice.
Your computer support should be able to deal with this.