Avidemux 2.5.6-1 load with error under Windows 2000 SP4...

Started by starsenvoy, September 27, 2012, 08:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starsenvoy

Hello!

Avidemux 2.5.6-1 load with error under Windows 2000 SP4 - please see pic. Avidemux 2.6 load OK without error message!

Jan Gruuthuse

Microsoft marketed Windows 2000 as the most secure Windows version ever at the time; however, it became the target of a number of high-profile virus attacks such as Code Red and Nimda. For ten years after its release, it continued to receive patches for security vulnerabilities nearly every month until reaching the end of its lifecycle on July 13, 2010.
source: wikipedia: Windows 2000

Bosanek

I have encountered the same issue. The last revision of Avidemux v2.5 which runs in Windows 2000 SP4 is v2.5.3. All newer revisions (v2.5.4, v2.5.5 and v2.5.6) do not work anymore because the programmers began using a function which KERNEL32.DLL in Windows 2000 does not support.

Avidemux v2.5.6 crashes when invoked, with an error message "The procedure entry point DecodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll".

The interesting fact is that all Avidemux v2.6 revisions (even the current v2.6.8 revision) work normally in Windows 2000 SP4.

Therefore, the programmers have obviously found and fixed the error which was introduced in Avidemux v2.5.4.

Since a lot of people still prefer Avidemux v2.5.x over v2.6.x, I believe that it would be justified for programmers to make a quick "revisit" to the Avidemux v2.5.6 code, fix this error, and release a "retro" Avidemux v2.5.6 v2 (or v2.5.7 or whatever).

Kind regards!

mean

In a nutshell :
- 2.6.X windows version are cross compiled from linux
- 2.5.x are built on windows
- I dont have a the built env on windows, and gruntster is no longer available