x264 error cannot setup codec bitrate too low

Started by mpeterson, October 09, 2012, 12:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpeterson

Hi
I got this error when trying to encode an mpg to x264.
My setup is win 32bit version 2.6 zip non-install.
I have tried encoding with just video in mp4, mkv, just video, copy audio, and any way I could think of but I think its a x264 problem.  I tried the second x264 and that worked but I'd like to customize it with my own settings like a different crf than 20.
is there a fix for this on the horizion?
thanks
Mike 

Jan Gruuthuse

Have no explanation for double appearance of x264? Was it a clean install or have you had avidemux before?
If you did not use this one: avidemux_r8196_win32.7z @ http://avidemux.org/nightly/win32/ download and unpack and replace the installed avidemux by the release content.
When selecting in Video Output: Mpeg4 AVC(x264) and the select the Configure below. The x264 Configuration window should open. Some parameters can be changed in relation to the selected Encoding Mode. Light gray options are not available.
When settings are to your liking you could save the Configuration with the Save As and giving it a sensible name like x264CR15. So you remember what it is all about in six months.

mpeterson

Thanks For the quick reply. I have some things to report.
I downloaded and tried the nightly builds for both 32 and 64 bit on a pc without any other avidemuxes or x264 on the machine.

The 32 bit one is like the last one with 2 x264 choices.  The first one gives you all the choices but if you change any of the configuration settings from the beta profile which is the automatic settings when you open the program and seems to be the same settings as the non configurable second x264 option it gives you the bitrate too low error and doesn't work.  the second choice is non configurable, the yellow highlighted button under video output in jan's screen grab does nothing so no customization is available but it does work at what seems to be the beta profile settings which are pretty crappy.

the 64 bit version only has the one x264 choice but if you change any of the settings from the beta profile it will give the bitrate too low error and will not work

also is there any benefit for choosing 64bit over 32bit(speed quality etc.)

Thanks
Mike

Jan Gruuthuse

If the 32-bit version works and does what it should do, run and stay with avidemux 32-bit version.

If you are not an average user and know you way around in windows/linux. Do a lot of avidemux stuff. And have 2 hard disks in your computer. Consider resizing the 2nd hard disk partition and create a new primary partition (10 GB) on it. Disconnect the primary hard disc (so not to loose your windows OS). Don't have any valuable data on the 2nd hard disc, have backups. Then you could install on that 2nd hard drive primary partition in EXT4 format an ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64-bit (5 year support) and use that for running avidemux.
You could the use the bios boot menu to select booting on hard drive 0 (windows) or 1 (ubuntu).