Some FLV files show a cropped screen in AVIDEMUX: a possible solution

Started by alfonico, October 15, 2012, 08:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfonico

Hello

Problem:
----------
Some FLV files show in AVIDEMUX viewer as a partial screen (only part of the actual screen is visible, the rest is truncated, as if it was cropped).
Re-encoding or changing the container doesn't solve the cropped screen problem.

Additional observation:
----------------------------
I tried ffmpeg to change the container: when using ffmpeg to try to change the container, ffmpeg stops with an error message.

Possible diagnosis:
-----------------------
Using MediaInfo, I found a pattern on the videos showing the problem:
The tagging application was always flvtool (but not all the FLV files with this tagging application have the problem).
Suspecting a tagging problem, I decided to modify the FLV file tags.
I tried YAMDI (http://yamdi.sourceforge.net/) to see if I could get rid of the problem with the simple command line
yamdi -i bad.flv -o good.flv
where bad.flv is the problem file.
good.flv didn't show the problem  in Avidemux: the screen was complete, not cropped.
I looked again the tags on mediainfo:
The new file tag shows an audio stream length much smaller than the original file.
When playing the original file, the sound stops much earlier than indicated by the tag. The new file tag indicates the actual length of the audio stream.

Possible conclusion:
-------------------------
The problem was due to a short audio stream which has a wrong length in the file tag.

Possible solution:
---------------------
Use an FLV tag modifier (for example YAMDI) to have the right audio stream length indicated in the file tag.

Will this solution work for you ?

Hope that helps

nuke3d

This bug still exists in the latest version. The suggested fix was very helpful, thank you.