News:

--

Main Menu

VP8/WebM support?

Started by Bastian, October 24, 2012, 10:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bastian

Hi,

it's been some time since the last request for WebM support. So I'm wondering: Are there any plans for including an encoder plugin for this format? As FFmpeg has been supporting WebM for a while now I guess it would be time for Avidemux to catch up. What do you think?

Regards
Bastian

hubert

douche

Bumping this thread. Because this program really REALLY needs webm support.

Webm is THE most popular video format on the web already and growing. Even Microsoft Edge is adding support for it. I don't know how the hell Avidemux can support HEVC but not VP8 and WebM.

efa

VP8 and VP9 reference implementation are in libvpx by Google, BSD license, can be integrated in a GPL app.
For example libavcodec do that for encoding:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libavcodec
Some links to sources:
http://www.webmproject.org/vp9/
http://www.webmproject.org/code/#libvpx-vp8vp9-codec-sdk

Jan Gruuthuse

please check current nightly, could be there:
d798fa4    [win/installer] Add webm

AQUAR

The support for muxing into the Webm container is there.
I think douche wants to be able to decode & recode VP8/9 as well.

The request is poorly made (the usual gime gime gime now, cause I really REALY want it, stupid program should have it already).
It's a free program people - ask for features with respect for the developers.

Jan Gruuthuse

please check current nightly, could be there:f4e7b7f    [Muxer/webm] Also allow VP9 and Opus

AQUAR

I down-loaded avidemux_2.6.11_r160209_win64 yesterday, but it doesn't play the VP9 test video's (from our earlier thread "VP9 is scrambled").
But it did have the option for the webm container.

I'll try the latest nightly for ADM 32 bit as that is the most recent nightly win update.
If I look at the code changes it looks like mean is working to add VP8/9+Vorbis/Opus.

Just tested HD and UHD VP9 in Webm (ie without audio tracks) on the latest 32 bit nightly, but playback remains scrambled.
(ffplay with ffmpeg 2.8 worked (zerano build with libvpx enabled) - maybe I should try ffplay with ffmpeg 2.7.6 to see the ADM potential).

Jan Gruuthuse

VP8 and webm should be ok now.

Original video: source video: VP8 webm
Target video: target video from VP8 webm

VP9, can't test. Some drivers did get changed and currently none of vp9 webm is playing here.
Plays only in firefox web browser.

bitboy

Hi there
i've just installed avidemux 2.6.12 on linuxmint 17.3 cinnamon edition. I'm able to select Webm Muxer as output, but under Video output noVP8 is shown (but the last entry says 'null'). Is there a package missing? Or is it only possible to copy vp8 by now?

mean

jolo100

I just tried to devcode an xvid .avi video to Webm and it failed telling me that it doesn't have the codecs for it.
If Avidemux doesn't allow for decoding to Webm yet, is there another product that you can recommend for this ?

Thanks,
Jon  :)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: jolo100 on August 23, 2016, 01:29:11 AMIf Avidemux doesn't allow for decoding to Webm yet, is there another product that you can recommend for this ?

Avidemux' bundled FFmpeg decodes WebM (VP9 + vorbis in Matroska container) quite fine (the Avidemux' own LibVPX decoder plugin is broken for VP8, but it is another story). Avidemux can't encode to VP8 or VP9. Use FFmpeg for this purpose instead.

douche

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 23, 2016, 12:16:41 PM
Quote from: jolo100 on August 23, 2016, 01:29:11 AMIf Avidemux doesn't allow for decoding to Webm yet, is there another product that you can recommend for this ?

Avidemux' bundled FFmpeg decodes WebM (VP9 + vorbis in Matroska container) quite fine (the Avidemux' own LibVPX decoder plugin is broken for VP8, but it is another story). Avidemux can't encode to VP8 or VP9. Use FFmpeg for this purpose instead.
>:(

How about to warn the user about WebM Output is only possible when Video Output is "Copy"?

Or even better: How about to disable/disallow WebM Muxer as Output Format UNLESS "Copy" is picked as Video Output?
If Avidemux can't do it, why showing then that it could?

eumagga0x2a

Generally, I strongly support the idea of guiding user by disabling all non-applicable options. In this particular case, I doubt that this would contribute to reducing user confusion. Additionally, I don't see a persuading reason for encoder selection to take precedence over container selection.

"Copy" doesn't help when the currently loaded video or any of the audio tracks is not compatible to the currently selected container. What should Avidemux then do? Automatically change output to the first match? And what should happen when another, incompatible video gets appended?