News:

--

Main Menu

MEMORY LEAK (huge one)

Started by thany, November 28, 2012, 09:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thany

I found  huge-ass gaping memory leak. Honestly, how did this slip through developing/testing?

When loading up a video, Avidemux eats away about 1GB of memory while indexing it. That ok (-ish) since it's probably a lot of work and everything. But when I ctrl+w that video and load the same one again, it eats away another 1GB chunk of memory. The memory used for loading the first video is never released!

I had to alt+f4 the thing to get my system to run smoothly again. With 8GB in my system, it's a rare occurence to run out of it, but today it happened.

Seriously guys, this needs a fix.

Jan Gruuthuse

Is this in 2.5 or 2.6? Your used Operating System? 32-bit ot 64-bit?

When you close the video from main menu: File: Close, is the same happening? Should as it would be the same.
Never noticed this on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS  amd64? Regulary load up to 30 GB of mpeg-ts video.

Jan Gruuthuse

Done some quick testing here.
20 MB used when avidemux is started.
For each 2 GB video clip loaded approx 20 MB is used (1st part uses bigger chunk then the following ones)
Closing the video does not lower/release the used memory.
Only closing avidemux get you back to the initial memory ram state.
There is more ram used and not released upon indexing new video then loading already/previously indexed video.
Starting  with a second video after closing the 1st one, adds on average again 20 MB/video 2GB part loaded.
In short: processing on average 60 GB/video a day, this behavior is/was not noted. Would have lost 600 - 900 MB ram doing so, on 16 GB ram in ubuntu hardly noticeable.
As avidemux is a limited operation, debugging depends a lot on user(s) feedback. Spread this over the 3 main operating systems OSx, Linux, windows and 32-bit / 64-bit systems and there sub flavors xp, vista, 7, debian, ubuntu, ... It's a huge task and well done as I may state, being a heavy user for over 1 1/2 year now.

thany

Avidemux 2.6 x64, Windows 7 x64.
WMV files 1GB or bigger. File|Close does the same, yes.

No problem in like this 2.5.6 (but then again, many WMV make a 2.5.x crash)

Jan Gruuthuse

Only with wmv issues? Still on 2.6.0 and not on  Avidemux v2.6.0 (r8289)? If sometime you would consider working with these 64-bit windows versions: you can find these here: http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/.
Nothing much else I can do or just saying: consider using Ubuntu next to your windows 7 on the same computer. Less trouble.

thany

You're not telling me the OS is responsible for allowing this memory leak.

I don't see r8289 anywhere, but I do see 8266. Tried that, same problem.

mean