Crash when using Vobsub filter.

Started by Chuffy, June 03, 2013, 02:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuffy

I am experiencing crashes with version 2.5.4 on XP when using the Vobsub filter to add subtitles to an Mp4.

The reason I am using 2.5.4 is that I can't get the newer version to open on my machine.

This is the first problem I have experienced with this version as I have not tried subtitles before. Crop and Mplayer resize which are the only filters I have needed up until now work fine.

The output format I am using is H.264 AAC audio Mp4 files with CRF set to 18.

Jan Gruuthuse

Chuffy

Yes.

Edit: Well I just downloaded version 2.6.4 and it's now opened ok, will let you know what happens next!!

Chuffy

Well that's just as useless because the Vobsub plugin is missing from the latest version!!

Oh, and all the tools on the Tools menu are missing as well!!

Jan Gruuthuse

all 4 subtitle filters are present in 2.5.6, did not mention 2.6.4. 2.6.4 should have .ass subtitle available.

Chuffy

I assumed that the latest version might not crash. I didn't expect it to have less functionality than an earlier version though??  ???

Anyway, I'm back on version 2.5.6 and still crashing, any ideas?

Jan Gruuthuse

no idea what would cause the crash. could be anything: cpu, memory, source video or audio track, ...

Chuffy

Quote from: Chuffy on June 03, 2013, 02:12:48 PM
I am experiencing crashes with version 2.5.4 on XP when using the Vobsub filter

this might be a clue?

Chuffy

After much messing about I realised that it would also crash when just playing the preview output in the main window.
This showed that the crash happened when the introduction titles went to a black screen just before the Subtitle "Once upon a time in Nazi-occupied France" (Inglourious Basterds) appears on the screen.

As a workaround I just set the start locator to just after the crash point, just as the above text appears and so far so good, it's converting away as we speak. Could crash later though we'll see.  :-\

JayMan

I have been having the same issue.

I have tried from 2.4.0 all the way to 2.5.6.
When ever I add the VobSub and try to encode (codec doesn't matter) it crashes.
Some versions it would crash during the preview, other didn't.

I noticed that if I have the encoding start at from 78, it didn't crash at the beginning, but would crash around frame 1920.

So, anyone have any ideas/solutions to this issue?
Has ANYONE ever been able to successfully use this filter?

On a side question: why was the filter removed from 2.6.0+?
I know version 2.6.0+ is timecode based, instead of framed based - but so are these subtitles.

Thanks in advance.

Jan Gruuthuse

Subtitling is present in avidemux 2.6 branch. You can use SSA/ASS or SRT files for input to hardcode.
- Load video
- in Video Output [Copy] select Mpeg4 AVC (x264), ....
- click [Filters] in Video Filter Manager left column select Subtitles
- double click SSA/ASS/SRT in Available Filters
- Subtitle file click [Open] and browse to subtitle file and click [Open]
- fill in other fields and click [OK]
- SSA/ASS/SRT should now appear in Active Filters
- click [Close]

In bottom right hand corner select [v] Play filtered
Subtitles should now come up when video is played.

you can find small demo here: Hard Coded Subtitle

Programs like Aegisub Advanced Subtitle Editor can handle .sub and export to .ssa, ...

JayMan

Thanks for the response.

I checked out and installed Aegisub as you suggested. After not getting it to read my VobSub files Avidemux 2.5.6 made, I checked their forums. Turns out it doesn't support VobSub.

I know I can convert the VobSub to srt - but its really tedius and time consuming since you have to verify the letters. That is why I wanted to use the VobSub files themselves.

So back to the issue with 2.5 and it crashing constantly when using the VobSub filter. Is the crash being cause by the extraction tool, or by the filter?

What can be done to resolve this?

JayMan

Ok... some progress.

I found a program, http://www.videohelp.com/software/VSRip, which is able to extract srt from the CC.
So I used the ssa/ass/srt filter as you suggested.

However, while its encoding the program crashes and closes.

Jan Gruuthuse

Not clear what is crashing? If avidemux 2.5: development is halted.
On normal circumstances avidemux 2.6 should not crash. As you could see by the Hard Coded Subtitle demo recorded this morning.
If your on windows: sorry I'm not and can't assist you with Windows related issues.
I'm only able to provide help on avidemux user issues (very limited on windows: haven't seen/used windows the last 10 years)