Can i manually set data rate and bitrate for saving avi file?

Started by 8009, September 11, 2013, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok, so i have very little knowledge of video editing.

All i want to do is simply cut portions of an avi video, join them together and save the outcome. Just the same video and audio, just keeping a fraction of the original video. Obviously i would expect the video to be of smaller size than the original.

The original video does not tell me in Properties what is the data rate and the bitrate, i think it has to do with the crappy camera. So, i can cut and join the portions i want, but when i save the output, it is always about double the size of the original video (even if it about 1/10 of the original video's duration), and data rate and bitrate of the saved video is about 60.000+ every time.

Are these numbers normal? Are they the original data rates and bitrates of the video? How can i make the size of the output file be smaller? Thanks.

mean

shouldnt happen if both audio & video are set to copy and using avi container

Quote from: mean on September 11, 2013, 11:43:54 AM
shouldnt happen if both audio & video are set to copy and using avi container

The big size shouldn't happen, or the mentioned data rate and bitrate?

When am i using avi container? Which option is it?

For example, i just open the avi file, it is 220mb. I just leave everything at default and i save it as it is. The result is 520mb and it seems the bitrate is "locked" at 64000kbps and data rate is 63872kbps...

I ve tried both 32bit and 64bit of 2.6.1 on a Win7 64bit machine, same results.

mean

please try with 2.6.5
and make sure audio/video are set to copy
and output format is set to avi
(these are normally default)

Quote from: mean on September 11, 2013, 01:06:16 PM
please try with 2.6.5
and make sure audio/video are set to copy
and output format is set to avi
(these are normally default)

Yes, default. "Copy", "Copy", "Avi Muxer"

Original video 220mb. Data rate, bitrate, unknown, not shown, 1920x1080. Just dragged and dropped in 2.6.5 64bit.

Clicked "Save" with no other action performed. Result: size 548b, data rate 63872, bitrate 64000.

Could it be because of the crappy camera?