News:

--

Main Menu

Installation help please.

Started by Gandalf, June 07, 2014, 04:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gandalf

This may or may not be a somewhat "redundant"question, but I have read all the documentation regarding how to compile Avidemux for Slackware, but what I want to know is how do I make the transition from compiling the source code to getting it installed on my system? I ask that because either the documentation isn't very clear on that issue, or else I am missing something when reading it.

Jan Gruuthuse

Do you have some kind of installable like in ubuntu (.deb). I believe you need to build with the --tgz option
bash bootStrap.bash --tgz --with-qt4 --without-gtk --with-cli
and see If you then can locate these builds? When building with --deb, I find the builds in sub folder debs where you did build avidemux. Perhaps something similar.
If similar process to building debs you should find:
  • avidemux3-core-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-qt4-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-plugins-QT4-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-cli-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-plugins-CLI-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-plugins-SETTINGS-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
and install in that order. Hope you find your way in Slackware, as I don't have any experience with Slackware.

Gandalf

I have tried that before, and what has always ended up happening was that the fand result would be files ending in .tar.gz" (which will not work with my operating system (it will only accept files ending in .tgz, .tlz, or .txz). Perhaps it will help if someone on your end obtains a copy of Vector Linux 7.0 (the operating system that I'm using, and Slackware-based, I might add), At lest that way you will have a better understanding as to the difficulty that I'm having trying to get it installed.

Jan Gruuthuse

QuoteSlackware's packaging system uses ordinary compressed tar files.
I believed this is interchangeable ââ,¬Å".tar.gzââ,¬Â or ââ,¬Å".tgzââ,¬Â file 1 ? Have you tried renaming .tar.gz to .tgz?

Else try building with --rpm and use slackwares rpm2tgz 2
rpm2tgz [filename].rpm

QuoteNOTE: Running rpm2targz will create a .tar.gz file, while running rpm2tgz will create a .tgz file. 2 The files are exactly the same, the only difference is the extension format 1 (some people prefer one over the other).
source: Slackware's packages

Jan Gruuthuse

Seeing your next question in the forum. Have you succeeded the installation? If yes what was the solution?

Gandalf

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on June 08, 2014, 09:04:58 AM
QuoteSlackware's packaging system uses ordinary compressed tar files.
I believed this is interchangeable ââ,¬Å".tar.gzââ,¬Â or ââ,¬Å".tgzââ,¬Â file 1 ? Have you tried renaming .tar.gz to .tgz?

Else try building with --rpm and use slackwares rpm2tgz 2
rpm2tgz [filename].rpm

QuoteNOTE: Running rpm2targz will create a .tar.gz file, while running rpm2tgz will create a .tgz file. 2 The files are exactly the same, the only difference is the extension format 1 (some people prefer one over the other).
source: Slackware's packages

I tried this (finally), and yes, I DID manage to get it installed :) , unfortunately, I encountered a problem when I went t try it out in that after I loaded a video file, I started to play it back for a few seconds then clicked the "stop" icon, at which point the program froze :( , and as far as I can tell, I HAVE met all the dependencies for it.

Jan Gruuthuse

OK. Are you on 64-bit Vector Linux?
I was able to build 64-bit only packages tar.gz and .rpm on ubuntu 14.04. Perhaps one of these has a better result?

dropbox download: 10 MB each (available for approximately 1 month from date of this posting)
RPM 64-bit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/udrdkbbixm4zm85/avidemux-2.6.8-9052-rpm.tar.gz
TGZ 64-bit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ah70mtd6krx6woz/avidemux-2.6.8-9052-tar-gz.tar.gz
unpack one of these tar.gz

in my opinion it is required to install all these below in this order:
  • avidemux3-core-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-qt4-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-plugins-QT4-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-cli-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-plugins-CLI-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux
  • avidemux3-plugins-SETTINGS-2.6.8-xxxx-Linux

Or else:
If your building your self perhaps following the info from M0E-lnx is perhaps another way to get there: The easiest way to go about this is to look at or just run the SlackBuild

Gandalf

Jan Gruuthuse

Sorry no 32-bit possible here. If  M0E-lnx slackbuild is not working/workable either: have you considered installing ubuntu lts 12.04 or 14.04  alongside your vector linux on another partition. That way you could select upon boot vector linux or ubuntu if avidemux is required.

Gandalf

So far, I have come up with a temporary solution, although a bit of a "roundabout' one, I installed the Windows version (via WINE), and I will use that until a Vector Linux package for it is made.