News:

--

Main Menu

Crash on saving MPEG

Started by VanillaMozilla, May 19, 2015, 02:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanillaMozilla

Avidemux crashes when saving a vob file in copy mode.  The saved file is only 1 kB, instead of the 3.4 GB that it should be.  The edited file is recovered from a crash file on restarting. Video and audio are in copy mode; the output format is MPEG-PS (A+V), and I tried to save as a .mpg file.  (I have also tried other combinations of TS and .vob files, without success.)

The file was created with a video recorder.  It's actually a transcription of a silent film (the soundtrack is blank).

I have version 2.5.4 (GTK+) running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (32 bit).

I would very much like to save the work if possible.  The second objective is to fix the problem with Avidemux.

Here's the error message.

Assert failed :0
at line 386, file /build/buildd/avidemux-2.5.4/avidemux/ADM_encoder/adm_encConfig.cppADM_backTrack
videoCodecGetMode()
ADM_Composer::saveAsScript(char const*, char const*)
saveCrashProject()
ADM_backTrack
videoCodecGetMode()
ADM_Composer::saveAsScript(char const*, char const*)
A_saveWorkbench(char const*)
FileSel_ReadWrite(void (*)(char const*), int, char const*, char const*)
avidemux2_gtk() [0x81669ea]
GUI_FileSelWrite(char const*, void (*)(char const*))
HandleAction(Action)
g_cclosure_marshal_VOID__VOID
g_closure_invoke

g_signal_emit_valist
g_signal_emit
gtk_widget_activate
gtk_menu_shell_activate_item

Jan Gruuthuse

Open terminal and try this:/usr/bin/avidemux2_qt4Perhaps you have QT version installed to?
Or see if you can upgrade from here: http://www.getdeb.net/app/Avidemux%202.6

Jan Gruuthuse

Check if your cpu is 64-bit capable?
lscpu
QuoteArchitecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
and consider replacing ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32-bit to 64-bit.

VanillaMozilla

Thank you so much for replying.

No, I don't have the QT version.  Yes, my processor is 64-bit capable, but I just switched from 12.04 LTS so I could get updated software, and I'm still fixing stuff that broke because of the update.

I found a partial solution.  I specifically had to set the audio to none and then export it as an .m2v file.  Both of those were necessary.  It seems that it was upset by the silent sound track.  At at least the file is saved.

Now there's a new problem.  It cannot read the .m2v file.  It read it when I renamed it to .mpg, but then it would not save it again.  I'm going to try some file repair procedures.

Jan Gruuthuse

If you do a lot of avidemux editing: you could consider installing a 2nd ubuntu 64-bit on another primary partition. (on 1st or 2nd, ... harddisc) (Linux can handle up to four primaries on a harddisc). You could get away with 10GB.

zakk

Demux your .mpg's with ProjectX, then use Avidemux 2.5 or remux with Imago MPEG Muxer, it will skip errors and almoste always work.

VanillaMozilla

OK, this counts partly as a dumb mistake.  File ==> Save almost works.  Save Project As... doesn't.

The only problem now is that VLC can't read the saved file.  I'm tentatively giving up on that as a dead end, since OpenShot seems to work -- or at least saves the file.  I first converted to .mp4 (and .mkv) with Handbrake.

What is it about the 64-bit program?  Does the 32-bit version just not work?  This is not a problem of memory resources.

Jan Gruuthuse

Save Project as is more like save settings and not the actual video.
Avidemux 2.5.4 is from 2010, 64-bit current version 2.6.9 from 18/05/2015.
I no longer have 32-bit cpu since ages (laptop died)
I'm only able to provide 64-bit build avidemux.
Or you have to look in to build avidemux locally on your computer: Compiling Avidemux 2.6.x
HTG Explains: Should You Use the 32-bit or 64-bit Edition of Ubuntu Linux?

zakk

Do you have a silent soundtrack or no soundtrack at all ?

VanillaMozilla

Originally I had a silent sound track.  The edited file now has no sound track, which oddly, some software cannot handle.

VanillaMozilla

Too bad about the old version.  These Linux distros don't seem to update a lot of the software that I use.  I suppose changing to 64 bits makes sense, but it uses more memory for not much gain.  In any case that's a project for another day.  I don't know why anyone would need more than 1 GB, but that's the way the world is going.   ;D  Compiling doesn't look too bad, but that too is for another day.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Jan Gruuthuse

Computer manufactures are always very conservative on memory: they always put in the minimal required amount of memory, with the emphasis on minimal. For ease of operation (fluidness), you should double this amount. (2GB -> 4GB). When the price is right, you should go for what you can afford. Recently I did upgrade my video card (nvidia) GT520 to GTX960. And found out I needed a MB upgrade (Bus: PCI-E 2.0 to PCI-E 3.0). In that process I got 2 extra memory slots and went from 16 GB to 32 GB memory ram (D316GB 1600-11 @ € 130).