News:

--

Main Menu

No sound

Started by Steev, September 02, 2015, 11:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steev

Hello!
Jan, you kindly replied to my query last Sept re cutting out advs from mpeg2-ts video and sound sync. All worked fine thanks until now. I upgraded from win7 to win10 and downloaded avidemux 2.6.10 and now I get now sound at all but the video is fine. What am I doing wrong? [I leave the video and audio output in copy mode and the output format in Mpeg-ts muxer (ff) as I did previously]. Any help in solving this question would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jan Gruuthuse

with source video loaded check:
Menu -> Audio - Select Track
See what is present and selected:
After saving the new video. Load the newly saved video. Check with same procedure as above. The same audio as you selected should be present.
Is it? Does audio play now.
If the problem still persists:
Make 10 second recording. Process video as you do usually. And upload both video (source and result) to publicly available web service like dropbox or similar.
Provide downlink, so we can have a look at what is going on. No login or registration for download!

We need to find out if missing audio is an avidemux 2.6.10 issue or Windows 10 issue (codecs changed/not supported, ...)

AQUAR

I tried in a virtual machine with windows 10.

ADM runs fine but the video and audio are slowed down and out of sync.
But there is definitely audio.
Running ADM in windows7 compatibility mode also had no impact.

Windows media player also plays content in a similar crappy manner.
I installed ffdshow for alternate codecs but windows media player remains unable to properly playback.

You might think its because of the "virtual" overhead but VLC plays fine with audio and video.

Conclusion:
Don't know if its windows 10 or the virtualbox as its all to much like beta.
But since there is sound on the virtual win10 PC, I think it should work on the OP's proper win10 PC.

Maybe someone with a "real" windows 10 PC can check and report.   

Jan Gruuthuse

Normally if it plays on one, it should play on the other.
Some guide http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/troubleshoot-video-audio-playback-issues-windows-pc/
Or M$ did some meddling stuff (again) on the codec side.

AQUAR

If I gather correctly, windows 10 media player can decode most content (even in MKV!) out of the box (except DVD's!).

Jan Gruuthuse

off topic now:
Some other(s) seem to think: not
But what do I care ;)

AQUAR

@ Jan,
I do really think you care a little bit.

That said, I wouldn't swap windows 7 for windows 8 or windows 10 (for now!).
Windows 10 is, lets just say a nice beta, for those that have to have the latest.
I'll wait until the product "matures" but am curious enough to try it in a virtual machine.

There will always be reports that things don't work after doing an upgrade.
But, who knows what the state of their OS was before the upgrade.

AFAIK windows 10 media player is accepting of most containers and codecs.

Jan Gruuthuse

more off topic:
Windows 10 download: requested free update, accepted: download within days or weeks. Upon notify, then install minimal 1 hour.
Friend with laptop, did leave again: came by for quick download 70,0 Mbit/s here, has only  adsl 4 Mbit/s connection.
update: Still same copper pair here (ADSL ->  ADSL2+ -> VDSL1 ->  VDSL2).

AQUAR

Believe it or not, but we are still on copper lines.

Fibre is being rolled out slowly throughout the continent (called the National Broadband Network).
Slowly because politicians/parties here keep arguing about, and keep changing the objectives of, the NBN.

Hence, in the middle of the Capital City, when using profiled ADLS2plus, I barely manage a pitiful 3Mbps (with 2-3 dropouts / hour).

I can only describe it as far too expensive for a minimal service.

Your friend might be disappointed with win10 as M$ has little regard for privacy.

Sorry for the off topic sideline on windows 10.