<SOLVED> Deleted Files Still Available

Started by elwood55, October 17, 2015, 08:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elwood55

I'm running version 2.5.4 on Linux Mint 17.1.  In Open File mode there are several video files still showing up and accessible, even though I deleted them from my HD days ago. So far, I have tried deleting all the "recent files" in the aviidemux config file (none of which were the ones in question, but even older) and reinstalling the program--both to no avail. This is a stumper. How can files supposedly deleted still be there? Thanks in advance for any help.

mean

Jan Gruuthuse

avidemux 2.5.4 config file sit in ~/.avidemux and for 2.6.# as mean indicates ;)

are video files not saved in your default video folder cd ~/Videos or the last folder saved to?

Otherwise use the search function from your file manager (looking glass) and search for partial file name you see in avidemux 2.5.4.

elwood55

Quote from: mean on October 17, 2015, 09:33:20 AM
delete ~/.avidemux6/config2

I don't have this file. What I have in my home file is ~/.avidemux/config. I tried deleting that, nothing changed and a new config file was created.

mean

yes, but your "recent file" is now empty, right ?

Jan Gruuthuse

If by open files you are seeing as like in attachment: that is a real location on your system. You can't delete anything from avidemux "open file window".
You should use a file manager and browse to that location.
Select the files and delete those you want to delete.
If you can't delete from there. In file manager in that folder:
- select from menu -> View -> Visible Columns -> add Owner
- if you are not the owner of the files: you can't delete them
- you need to start your file manager as Admin, then you can delete the videos
from terminal:
gksudo nemo
If you don't have Admin rights, this will not work

elwood55

Well, I'm embarrassed to admit that I found the supposedly deleted files. Instead of being removed they had been moved elsewhere in what is a rather large directory and I just plain didn't notice. They are definitely gone now. Thanks for all the input and I apologize for the false alarm.

Jan Gruuthuse

no problem, those things do happen, and can be very confusing. Glad you did find them video files. ;)