Go to i-frames and go to markers shortcuts inconsistent?

Started by divergirl, December 31, 2015, 11:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eumagga0x2a

Tabbed browsing shortcuts are way older, they were available in the Mozilla Suite long before Firefox (Phoenix back then) was conceived: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=136915. Why should it matter for Avidemux? There are no tabs to switch.

If you want a set of shortcuts which works around limitations of a laptop keyboard, build from source with modifications you like or contribute patches to speed up things for everyone. Or attach an actually usable external keyboard.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on December 23, 2016, 12:13:29 AMWhy should it matter for Avidemux? There are no tabs to switch.
My point is that there is much software precedent that down = right; up = left.

Jan Gruuthuse

Developer prerogative, whatever we think or request.
Time up, time down is logic too.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on December 23, 2016, 07:01:35 AM
Time up, time down is logic too.
But if that were the case, then PageUp would seek forward while PageDown would seek backwards...which is not the case in Avidemux.

Let me put it this way - would you feel that the following would make sense at all?

PageUp = seek to next marker
PageDown = seek to previous marker

UpArrow = seek to previous i-frame
DownArrow = seek to next i-frame

Jan Gruuthuse

You don't understand? :

Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on December 23, 2016, 07:49:32 AM
You don't understand? :

That doesn't make it any less silly to have PageUp/PageDown and UpArrow/DownArrow go in the exact opposite directions of eachother!

Look, while I prefer that down = seek forward, the fact that Avidemux uses "DownArrow = seek backwards" isn't the main issue here, is that Avidemux currently does this:

DownArrow = previous i-frame
PageDown = next marker

Nobody in their right could say that makes sense; either make them both be 'previous' or make them both be 'next' - don't split the difference and make things inconsistent and therefore confusing!