News:

--

Main Menu

Crop video filter doesn't seem to be working

Started by smg3000, February 11, 2016, 04:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smg3000

I've never used this program before, but I can't seem to get the file to save with the crop. I've tried the latest nightly build as well as the packages for both 32 and 64 bit (I have a 64 bit computer). This is a short, under 3 minute, video that is formatted for a portrait phone that I need to put on YouTube without the black borders. I set A and B markers for the entire thing, create the filter. I can preview it and all that, but when I save the video the filter isn't being applied. None of the docs I can find actually match the interface. I can't find a specific "apply filter" function. Any help is much appreciated.

thanks,
shawn

Jan Gruuthuse

Applied filters only work when you select in Video Output something else then [Copy] like Mpeg4 AVC (x264)
When Filter is applied see attached screenshot, click [Close]
@ avidemux bottom right hand mark -> [V] Play filtered
Play should now show applied filter
When save with a selected Video Output other then [Copy] it should re-encode the video accordingly

smg3000

Thank you. That seems to have created the desired file, sadly, youtube still puts the borders on it. https://youtu.be/H-yS05Jp2u8

Jan Gruuthuse

QuoteResolution and aspect ratio
YouTube uses 16:9 aspect ratio players. If you are uploading a non-16:9 file, it will be processed and displayed correctly as well, with pillar boxes (black bars on the left and right) or letter boxes (black bars at the top and bottom) provided by the player. If you want to fit the player perfectly, encode at these resolutions:

2160p: 3840x2160
    1440p: 2560x1440
    1080p: 1920x1080
     720p: 1280x720
     480p: 854x480
     360p: 640x360
     240p: 426x240

The YouTube player automatically adds black bars so that videos are displayed correctly without cropping or stretching, no matter the size of the video or the player.

source: YouTube Recommended upload encoding settings