Which version is better than 2.6.6? (or maybe it's the files' fault)

Started by Dummdoedel, April 12, 2016, 09:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dummdoedel

Hello,

I from time to time have problems with 2.6.6. Is the general forum note, that 2.6.0 is highly experimental still true?

The problem is, when I searched for Avidemux (was recommended to me) I only was offered version 2.6.6 on softonic and didn't say beta. When I go to sourceforge I am offered 2.6.9 beta and can't figure out what the last stable version is. (Why is the stable version not predominantly spread/offered on the ne anyway?)

So, now that I have learned that 2.6.x seems to be a beta version, what version is considered stable and would work under 10.9 ?

MAYBE... the issues I have from time to time are because of the files, but to test this, I need a stable version.

PS: Can I make a B- or P-frame be used as or changed to an I-frame in h.264 cutting?
(From my understanding an new I-frame should apear when the movie changes dramatically, anyway, but it happens that I have commercials that end wth a B/P frame and the next scene of the movie starts with B/P, too).

Jan Gruuthuse

Check http://www.fosshub.com/Avidemux.html/ (more or less considered as release)
or if one of the nightly would do:
http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/

Highly experimental as in ongoing development, perhaps?

bernd_b

From what I know and what I have experienced:

- Take the newest version for h264-based files - that is what the 2.6-branch is made for (time-based codecs/containers in opposition to older frame based ones like mpeg2)
- If you use copy mode, you have to stick to I-frames. In my experience too, you will find situations where there is no I-frame at a scene change where you want to cut. The codecs seem to have another opinion about the question, where a new scene starts ... :(  Maybe you are supposed to have more possibilities when you reencode your file - but I am out of knowledge here ...

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: bernd_b on April 13, 2016, 03:10:10 PM
>8 >8  Maybe you are supposed to have more possibilities when you reencode your file - but I am out of knowledge here ...
Whilst reencoding, you have more freedom. Can't guarantee this is like this for all codec(s)/container(s).
Perhaps making 1st a rough edit with both video and audio set to copy. Making cuts one I-frame After intended [A ] mark and one Before intended [ B] mark. This way all image information is still there when you fine edit with re-encoding the video.