News:

--

Main Menu

Lack of Scripting command Info

Started by EEMcGee, April 30, 2016, 01:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EEMcGee

Is there a chance some of the devs could divert some time from updating to put out some CLI and shell Scripting information.  I have been using Avidemux for years.  It's a great piece of software with huge potential with scripting capabilities.  The problem is I am constantly extremely frustrated at not being able to use much of the scripting functionality because I can't find any information anywhere on the internet about what functions are available and their parameters.  I've looked through the threads.  The wiki is useless at this point because the software has changed so much since it was written. It just seems like I'm only able to use 50 % of the software because there is no information on how to use the other 50%. 

I use the Windows version.  I have used and modified .py files for simple encoding and cutting settings.  I would like to access menu commands in the gui interface with scripting.  It seems like it should be possible but I can't find any information on it.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: EEMcGee on April 30, 2016, 01:58:46 AM
    Is there a chance some of the devs could divert some time from updating to put out some CLI and shell Scripting information.   >8 >8
    I use the Windows version.  I have used and modified .py files for simple encoding and cutting settings.  I would like to access menu commands in the gui interface with scripting.  >8 >8
Most likely this is not going to happen in a very near future: developer(s) have a huge time shortage.

Sample script(s): https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2/blob/master/autononreg/py/sample_script/
Perhaps you can find some more documentation/information: 2.6.x "unofficial" & yet experimental doxygen-generated source code doc
Keep in mind .CLI may not accept everything that .GUI accepts (was like this in the past)
Maybe macro recording in windows could give you some menu access in avidemux windows environment?

ps.: As usual I can only give my opinion or speak for myself. I'm a basic user ;)

EEMcGee

Among other things from within the scripting shell I would like to be able to able to automatically have it check the resolution of a video when it is opened and change the preview zoom.  I have spent hours looking through the Doxygen manual going from link to link to link trying to figure out how to use a class that I'm not even sure is supported in the shell.  I have done the help() and CLASS.help() in the shell.  It doesn't take you far enough in to know what you can call in that class or any of the parameters.  Is there anyone that can give some examples of shell scripting.  I clicked on the exampleslink in the Doxygen Manual but it says they don't exist.  I have programmed in GW-basic, Visual Basic, HTML, and worked wit some PHP.  The problem is if I don't know what classes or commands I can call or their required parameters,  I can't get a start.  I've done plenty of Logic and that's not a problem at all.  A list of the classes that can be called would be a very helpful start.  If I get started I would love to do some scripts and put them on the forum for others to learn from.