News:

--

Main Menu

Custom menu is empty

Started by scootergrisen, June 29, 2016, 10:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootergrisen

I don't understand the purpose of the second last menu on the menu bar called "Custom".
In Avidemux 2.6.8 it does not have any content.

So maybe remove it or hide it by default if it is empty by default and let the user enable it if the user wishes to use it.
If it is empty i guess there are no reason to show it.

AQUAR

It's there for a reason.
To understand it's purpose you might want to learn about the ADM GUI.
I suggest you read the WIKI.

scootergrisen

It might be there for a reason but if its empty there is no idea in showing it.

If it really have to be visible when its empty then it could be disabled/greyed out like when you right click a area with text without selecting anything "Copy" will be disabled or not be there at all.

AQUAR

You are nit picking on an feature of ADM you don't even understand.
That aside, why is it a bother for you if a menu selection is accessible but empty?

Avidemux is a basic video editor that (like all programs!) requires some effort to learn.

scootergrisen

It is a suggestion. Do you have to call me "nit picking" for suggestion something.

Its normal in many programs not so show stuff that are not in use/are empty/etc.
Like if you click the background if a website it does not show a "Copy link address" menu item because there is no need to show it.
So i suggest the same thing for the Custom menu. No need to show it if it is empty.
Then if the user makes it contains one or more menu item it could be showed.

Sort of like in FileZilla there is a Debug menu the user can activate but normally its disabled/hidden.

Jan Gruuthuse

That is a matter of interpretation: Menu custom makes you wonder what is going on there and do some searching.
By now you already understand there is a huge time deficit on developing side.
Developer(s) might pick up on some of your suggestions or not depending there priorities and set roadmap.
Sometimes you could find proposed changes are picked up, sometimes not.
Don't feel bad about this.
QuoteAvidemux is a simple tool for simple video processing tasks. The keyword here is simple: it does not offer tools like a timeline, multitrack editing, you cannot freely move or splice audio and video clips from various sources. However, Avidemux allows you to do elementary things in a very straightforward way.
source: Avidemux quickstart

as always this is my personal opinion, I can't speak for the developer(s)

AQUAR

Definition of Nit Picking:
To be excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details.

It isn't a personal attack, nor did I imply it was a bad suggestion, just gave my perspective on it.
It is as Jan said - these micro issues may be addressed, or may not, at the whim of the developer.