Cutting and compiling clips together results in freeze frames?

Started by ball2hi, November 08, 2016, 07:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eumagga0x2a

A bit of feedback whether older releases fare better dealing with such h264 videos with early B-frames would be nice.

ball2hi

I've gone as far back as 2.6.10 and the issue still persists with my videos. I guess it's safe to say this is an H.264/H.265 issue, possibly with Avidemux? Do you have any other suggestions for software I can try to use that is lightweight, and doesn't require a re-encode like Avidemux that I can use to cut out clips and put together?

Also, the issue seems slightly less prominent in the older versions but is still definitely there.

You can see the issue is still visible here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQSrPQzWxNg

EDIT: Also tried 2.6.8

eumagga0x2a

Either try FFmpeg on command line or use the latest Avidemux nightly and manually delete each chunk from the last P-frame of an already loaded video to the first I-frame of an appended one then.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: ball2hi on November 13, 2016, 07:57:06 PM
I guess it's safe to say this is an H.264/H.265 issue, possibly with Avidemux?

I would not call this an issue. It is a legitimate feature of the codec that Avidemux doesn't handle well yet. I experimented with modifying the segment creation part of ADM_EditorSegment::addReferenceVideo so that the segment for an appended video would always start at the first keyframe. Unfortunately, this broke so many things that I had to give up, at least for now.