News:

--

Main Menu

QTGMC deinterlacing filter in Avidemux

Started by frenksisco, December 19, 2016, 08:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frenksisco

Hi, I'm a windows user but I chose this section cause I think the question is not related to the os. maybe...
I deeply love Avidemux but, as regards deinterlacing, I found a filter in StaxRip that is infinitely superior to those included in avidemux like Yadif.
The filter is QTGMC and it's one of the Avisynth scripts that StaxRip makes available for deinterlacing.
Its quality is unmatchable even for programs like After Effects or expensive plugins like Frame by Red Giant.
The point is... the Staxrip project is dead a year ago, furthermore, my favorite program remains Avidemux so.... my question is:
is there a way to use the QTGMC filter in Avidemux?
I know nothing about Avisynth and I don't know if Avidemux could use it or speak with it...

mean

you can use avisynth filter with avidemux

frenksisco

I'm looking around but I can not figure out how to do it.
I read something about the use of an avsproxy but there's no avsproxy.exe inside the last Avidemux 2.6.15
Is there somewhere a guide or maybe a tutorial?
Thank you very mutch

frenksisco

Sorry, I reinstalled avidemux and avsproxy.exe appeared in his directory!
Now the challenge is to understand how to use it with QTGMC.
If anyone can help me I will be very grateful ...

AQUAR

Have a look at the avisynth web pages to see how to use this filter in an avisynth script.
Use Avsproxy to run the script and tell ADM to get the frames at port 9999 by "connect to avsproxy".

If I have time I'll be more specific.

mean

there is also a plugin avsloader or similar that can load just the filters

frenksisco

I'm sorry I can not find any avsloader plugin.
Anyway, I have never used avisynth but I'll try to figure out this thing.
Unfortunately, it seems this plugin has a very complicated installation procedure....

frenksisco

I correctly installed QTGMC in Avisynth following its own indications but I still have no idea of how to usit in Avidemux.
If I have understood correctly I need to reach the "QTGMC-3.32.avsi" script file in avisyinth from the avsproxy in avidemux, right?
If I click on "connect to avsproxy" through the 9999 port i get this error message:
Attempt to open :: :: ADM_AVS_PROXY failed!
What am I doing wrong?

frenksisco

Trying to do something with avsproxy_gui.exe to avoid the problem I met another problem...
It shows a new error message:
"Sorry, it appears that the required FFmpegSource2 plugin (ffms2.dll) is not installed. Please make sure the plugin is located in your Avisynth "Plugins" directory!"
So I have procured that and all the other things I did not know avsproxy_gui.exe needed to work..... and I installed it
No changes...
"Sorry, it appears that the required FFmpegSource2 plugin (ffms2.dll) is not installed. Please make sure the plugin is located in your Avisynth "Plugins" directory!"......................................

dosdan

Quote from: frenksisco on December 21, 2016, 02:33:58 PM
"Sorry, it appears that the required FFmpegSource2 plugin (ffms2.dll) is not installed. Please make sure the plugin is located in your Avisynth "Plugins" directory!"......................................

I would not be trying to frame-serve from AVSproxy to ADM just yet. When troubleshooting this and the rest of the Avisynth script, I'd suggest you use an Avisynth-aware editor that can run the AVS and help you work out what is causing the error. Trying to troubleshoot AVS script problems in either VirtualDub or AVSproxy will not be easy. Often VirtualDub will refuse to load an AVS and give you a cryptic error message.  So I'd suggest first getting your script working in the AVSPmod editor:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/AvsP

You load an AVS script in AVSPMod and then attempt to run it by pressing the Play button down the buttom. This will invoke Avisynth and show you the screen and any error messages. The err msgs usually have a line & char number so you can work out what Avisynth doesn't like.  Here is AVSPmod running FromBatchfile.avs. (This script invokes Avisynth via AVSPMod via a DOS batchfile and uses an environment variable, which I named "video" and which I've set in the batchfile, to communicate to an Avisynth script the name of the video clip I wish to load and process.  The idea is to be able to drag-and-drop any video clip onto a batchfile icon on my Windows desktop and have it converted into a 1/4x slo-mo version. This particular script tests only the initial inter-program communications part of the process.)

The first 3 lines are commented out. Originally I was using LoadPlugin() to load 2 external filter DLLs and specifying the full path to them. But since these 2 DLLs are in my Avisynth plugins directory the script still works when these LoadPlugin lines are commented out, as Avisynth will look for them there.

Here is an example of an error message:

If, instead, I loaded this faulty AVS script in VirtualDub, I would just see this msg, Unable to open file: "D:\Slo-mo\FromBatchfile.avs", but with no reason given.

An .AVSI is just an .AVS that autoloads. See:

http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-120049.html

I'd suggest, when troubleshooting, that you temporarily change the extension from .AVSI to .AVS so you can control how you load it into AVSPmod. (I'm not sure how AVSPmod will handle an .AVSI.)

Note: I had an issue when trying to run AVSPmod in an AVSPmod sub-directory under C:\Program Files (x86)\ in Windows 10. The program would abort as soon as I opened it, too quickly to read the error message. I eventually worked out that it was immediately trying to create an session file in this directory in case it later crashed, so it could recover the session next time, but Windows was not allowing it to create this recovery file. I got around this by installing AVSPmod outside the x86 directory - in my case I installed it in "D:\AVSPmod".

Dan.

frenksisco

Thanks so much for your information. Very interesting.
However, as a video editor, I'm not a big fan of those situations where you need to become a programmer just to do one single thing...
That's why I was tring to figure out of that using just one program: Avidemux. And in the end I got it!
I probably had not entered all the .dll that avsproxy_gui.exe needed.
Everything works now! I'm using my beloved QTGMC with my beloved Avidemux. Thank you all for the help.
Just one thing: seriously ... I think this plugin should be included natively in Avidemux.
A perfect deinterlacing is a pure agony for all of us ... and believe me I haven't found any software, suite or script that is capable of this quality.
The super celebrated Yadif filter is not even worth the half of QTGMC. Yadif just deinterlace.... QTGMC makes a perfect deinterlacing.
Certainly, the time required for the process is much longer than Yadif but the quality gap is so large that I am sure all those who need a perfect deinterlacing will download and use Avidemux. Avidemux would become even more popular than now!!
Is there a place where I can propose a new feature to the Avidemux developers?

eumagga0x2a

Is QTGMC of any use on Linux? Is it superior to hardware-based deinterlacing via VDPAU (which in my experience provides better results than yadif while being also much faster)?

frenksisco