News:

--

Main Menu

Panasonic 6K photo mode

Started by DR Win, January 06, 2017, 08:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Win

Hello,
Can the latest version of Avidemux be used to select frames from Panasonic 6K photo mode (essentially a 30fps video with 6K x 3K dimensions)?  This is new on the GH5.
I've used Avidemux 2.6 to process 4K video, but have no idea about the 6K.
Thanks for all fact-based answers!

eumagga0x2a

We'll have a chance to find out if you provide a sample (edit: by the way, The GIMP refuses even to create such a big image).

DR Win

If I had a sample, I wouldn't need to ask the question.  I would simply try it myself.
I prefer to be proactive when possible.

Jan Gruuthuse

Yes: Avidemux loads panasonic GH5 6K Photo (5184 x3456)
panasonic GH5 6K sample photo:

this photo loaded in avidemux 2.6.17

click on thumbnail to view real size

You might want to disable hardware acceleration: vdpau is not loading:
[init] 06:56:32-716  [VDpau] Allocating surfaces 5184 x3456 , 5184 x 3456, 2592 x x1728
  [surfaceCreate] 06:56:32-769  ADM_coreVdpau::funcs.createSurface(ADM_coreVdpau::vdpDevice,VDP_CHROMA_TYPE_420,width,height,surface) call failed with error=The size of a supplied object does not match the object it is being used with.
  [init] 06:56:32-769  Cannot create input Surface

do note:
QuoteHowever, don't go assuming that '6K Photo' mode is taking images from an area of the sensor 6000 pixels across: it isn't. Instead it's capturing images with the roughly the same number of pixels as a very widescreen 6000 x 3000 video clip would have. It's not the most misleading marketing statement we've ever seen, but be aware that 6K may not mean quite what you might expect.

ps.: Gimp should not have issues creating/handling (20, 30, 40 MP)
The largest photo I loaded in Gimp was 17384 x 5558 pixels, 204.8 MB size

Jan Gruuthuse

click on thumbnail to view real size

DR Win

Thanks for the information.  Nice photos!

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.  You say it can handle 6K photos; my concern is whether or not it can handle a stream of 6K frames, captured at 30fps, which is essentially a 6K video (I say "essentially" because Panasonic speaks of "not 6K video" until some firmware upgrade later in the year).

Also: "don't go assuming that '6K Photo' mode is taking images from an area of the sensor 6000 pixels across: it isn't. Instead it's capturing images with the roughly the same number of pixels as a very widescreen 6000 x 3000 video clip would have."
Can you clarify?  I'm not understanding the difference between the two things.  6000x3000 is 6K across, isn't it?

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: DR Win on January 06, 2017, 08:27:36 PM
Hello,
Can the latest version of Avidemux be used to select frames from Panasonic 6K photo mode (essentially a 30fps video with 6K x 3K dimensions)?

You put me on the wrong foot

Quote6K is the maximum resolution of Epic Dragon. 6144x3160 or 19.4 megapixels at a 1.94:1 aspect ratio.
    6K is 9.36x more pixels than 1080p.
    6K is 8.78x more pixels than 2K.
    6K is 2.2x more pixels than 4K.
    6K is 1.4x more pixels than 5K.
    At 300 DPI you can make a 20.48x10.53 inch print from a full 6K Dragon image.
    At 150 DPI you can make a 40.96x21.067 inch print from a full 6K Dragon image.
    6K is 14% more resolution than 5K for a pristine full debayer down to 4K. Meaning it's a 66.7% down sample/debayer to 4K.
source: Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

I will try to test, look in to this further , brand new camera
Currently there is not 6K photo mode video material in the wild. Review(s) is/are speaking of photo burst shoot.
Next will be testing real 6k video and let you know later today.

Update:
camera shoots video in 3.840 x 2.160 (4K UHDTV) &  4.096 x 2.160 (Digital Cinema Initiatives
native 4K resolution)
6K photo mode (photo burst = no video!) you can create small video clip from these photo's.

Jan Gruuthuse

Just concluded testing:
When using a standard codec, and not a proprietary codec (R3d, ProRes, ...) . Avidemux can load and process video up to 16K resolution.

click above image for full view

on Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (4 Cores/8 Threads) with 32 GB ram this is very slow in working, and might be considered not workable.

6K video should be doable, currently not hardware accelerated on vdpau NVIDIA.

DR Win

Thanks for taking the trouble to do the test.
Panny says the 6K video (and frame streams or photos therefrom) will be approx. 18mp.  Could be iffy.
I just tried working with a 4K "photo burst" from GX8.
Avidemux 2.6 was able to display it; earlier versions were not (green screen and/or error messages).
VLC Player could display it, as could PotPlayer.  FastStone Image Viewer could not.
The quality I got from the 4k photo burst is really bad compared to normal 4K video, and you don't have full manual control; I'll just shoot normal 4K video (or 6K if it ever appears at a price I can afford) and do frame grabs.