Advice on cutting some .ts files and preserving subtitles

Started by rykr, January 07, 2017, 05:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rykr

I'm really struggling with how to cut these files and preserve the subtitles.   The normal tool I use for this only handles h.264 video and these are different.   Avidemux will edit them but it drops out the subtitles.  I can extract them into an srt file but then I'm not sure how to go about editing the srt file to sync them back up.   

My normal process with h.264 ts files is to edit them in H264ts_cutter (which preserves the subtltles),  then extract subtitles into an srt file with ccextractor, and then bundle the video and  srt into a mkv using makemkv.   

I know the avidemux has a subtitle filter and I tried to use it but it didn't seem to work.  Will it cut the subtitle file to sync with the video or does it expect the srt file to already match the cut video file?

Ideally I would load up the srt file in avidemux, trim my video (and let avidemux trim the subtitles to match), and then save it all out to mkv right out of avidemux.  Am I on the right track?

Jan Gruuthuse

Avidemux only supports importing srt/(ssa/ass) and hard codes these into the image (permanent, image is changed)
see on our youtube channel: Avidemux Demo
- Howto: Subtitle Hardcoding in to video
- End result "Filter: Subtitles: SSA/ASS/SRT": Subtitle ASS long lines and moving text test

Softcoded subtitles see: Any chance to keep subtitles in TS files?