Avidemux seems to ignore settings in Video Bitrate

Started by schubi, January 18, 2017, 10:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schubi

Hi folks,

when I convert a mkv to avi with Avidemux I get some curious behaviour.
I set the Bitrate to 1000 an I get a file in size about 1.2G.
I set the Bitrate to 2000 an I get a file in size about 1.4G.

I put the MediaInfo and the Project settings file in attach, so you can see.
And if I am not allowed to post this, please tell me why and do not just delete it.

Kind regards
schubi

Jan Gruuthuse

If you restrict bitrate to 1000, these videos will be smaller then when bitrate set to 2000.
Halving the bitrate will not half the video in size.
Between video codecs an AVC bitrate of 2000 is not equal to a divx bitrate of 2000, video wise.
Bitrate depends heavily on the contents of the video.

Hope this gives you some more insight. Otherwise I did not understand your question?

schubi

Hi Jan,

thanks for your trying to help.
To better declare and maybe help my misunderstanding, I putted the MediaInfo and project.js into attach, where
you could check the single values. (I had more additional description in my first post yesterday, but this seems to be deleted).

In short words:
I convert a test mkv file (MediaInfo-Test_mkv_Source.txt) with same settings to avi(xvid) only changing the
Bitrate from 1000 to 2000 (Project settings - Bitrate1000.js  and  Project settings - Bitrate2000.js).

As a result I get first an avi which is exactly written with 1000 Kbps (Video) and
on the second time I get an avi file with is written just in 1317Kbps (Video) even the setting in the project file is 2000.
Both videos values you can see in MediaInfo-Test_avi_Target_Bitrate1000+2000.txt.

The mkv itself has a Video Bitrate of 2909 so there should be no limitation by that.
Maybe I dont know any facts for that but if I do such a conversion for example with XMediaRecode I get
the second avi with about 2000 Kbps (but I prefer the quality of Avidemux).

Can you help me to understand?

Best regards
schubi

Jan Gruuthuse

could be several reasons, and I don't have an answer to this. Perhaps others do have.

schubi

Thanks for trying to help!

Maybe I should give additional information.
I am using W7/64 with SP1.
The Avidemux-Version is avidemux_2.6.18_win64.exe.

schubi

I have this release.
Only if you go to Avidemux -> Help -> About then you get this wrong information ::)
I have been wondering myself and looked for the used exe...

Ok, but to be totally shure I uninstall and install again and look again for the information
in the Avidemuy -> Help -> About

Jan Gruuthuse

schubi

As I said, I will uninstall and install "avidemux_2.6.18_win64.exe" again and tell you what is written in Avidemux -> Help -> About.
Either I have some other installed exe or the guys from avidemux missed to update the information in the -> Help -> About

schubi

Hello Jan,

I tested now different versions, also an older 32bit Version (avidemux_2.6.13_win32.exe) and that version
you told me in your last response (avidemux_2.6.18_r170117_win64.exe).

Its with all of them the same behaviour.
The files are only converted to 1350Kbps instead of adjusted 2000Kbps...

The same done with other programs (XMR, VirtualDub) makes the conversion with 2000Kbps
without problems, but as already mentioned, Avidemux shall be the first choice, if possible.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: schubi on January 19, 2017, 09:01:48 PM
you told me in your last response (avidemux_2.6.18_r170117_win64.exe).
Just noticed you was using an older release. Preferred is always newest. Could have gone. So this wasn't the case.

Quote from: schubi on January 19, 2017, 09:01:48 PM>8 >8 The files are only converted to 1350Kbps instead of adjusted 2000Kbps... >8 >8

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on January 18, 2017, 03:01:03 PM
could be several reasons, and I don't have an answer to this. Perhaps others do have.