Ultimate solution for crashes: Roll back to version 2.5.5

Started by feelingshred, February 06, 2017, 01:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feelingshred

Just copy/pasting my reply to an old thread... Not trying to be mr know-it-all, just writing here so Google can pick up the solution faster next time someone appears with the same problem...

Sorry for reviving old topic but when the developers of the program don't do something, we have to share the valuable info. I was just having crash after crash using the more recent version of avidemux, then I switched back to v2.5.5 (because it was the most downloaded of the old versions on sourceforge), and now I finally can convert my h264 video again without crashes and without weird artifacts on screen. I don't know what they tried to do with version 2.6.x but it's clearly not working.
To everybody out there, I strongly recommend using avidemux version 2.5.5 .

Jan Gruuthuse

Wow newbie, 3 posts telling 2.5.5 is better then 2.6.18?
avidemux Version 2.5.5 version from Jun 4, 2011 is no longer supported
avidemux Version 2.6.18 (Jan 7, 2017) is current version.
have a nice day.

zakk

Crashes depend a lot of the characteristics of your video. Others may have crashes with 2.5.5 and not with the latest version. So a real useful feedback would be "provide a sample to the developper or try another version". Calling your topic "ultimate solution" is non-sense. It would be nice from you to rename your topic to "solution" to avoid confusion.

feelingshred

The purpose of this thread was solely to help with future Google searches and provide a quick answer for people who are struggling with the same problem that I had, but in my case I wasted too much f* time until finding a way out.
It is not responsibility of the users of a software to find ways to make a software do what it's supposed to do. This is called a Bug. It's the developers' responsibility. Don't try to push the guilt on me. That's enough I guess, let's close the topic and not keep it getting upped in the list.
Have a nice day you all and, above all, thanks devs for this amazing software that allows me to save tons of disk space while watching nice-looking videos.
Please someone close this thread because I don't know how to do it... Admins?

mean

I guess you have a limited set of input files, so indeed for you 2.5.x might cut it.
But for others, dealing with h264, h265, TV recording etc... or wanting to get hardware acceleration, 2.5.x is a no go.