News:

--

Main Menu

New to Avidemux

Started by Wachtman43, February 19, 2017, 12:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wachtman43

I am trying to extract a clip from a commercial DVD movie.  When I click to open a VOB file on the DVD, I get the prompt: "Cannot find a demuxer for (filename)"  Am I missing something, or am I trying to do something that can't be done?

Jan Gruuthuse

You should not try to edit on dvd.  Write only, speed to slow, ...
Transfer dvd files to harddisk. Where avidemux can index the video.
Ps.: Avidemux does not decrypt dvd''s!,

AQUAR

As Jan hinted at, movies on retail DVD's are almost always content protected.

It is illegal to decrypt such material (just saying!) but there are free programs that will extract & decrypt such DVD content.
Just google on something like DVD decrypter (for example) if you want to go that path.

Avidemux should be able to work on those extracted files.

Wachtman43

Thanks, folks.  I do respect copyrights and copy-protected material; however, my particular use involves some extenuating circumstances requiring occasional, personal use clips not readily available through the publisher.  Much obliged for your assistance.
Forgive me for imposing on you one more time.
I got the DVD files (VOBs) decrypted and on hard drive, and I can open them with Avidemux and define an A/B clip, but I have no idea what video, audio, and output format parameters to set.  Default parameters are "copy", "copy", and "AVI Muxer" respectively, which builds a file, but it won't import to my Sony Vegas editor.  By randomly selecting different values for these parameters, I find that some combinations will not convert, while others do result in a converted file, but so far not one which will import into my Sony Vegas editor.  Any ideas or recommendations? 

zakk

VOB files are always MPEG-2 video and AC3 audio. They should be put in a .MPG container (or .MKV) not AVI.