Can't install Nvidia libraries and compilation problems

Started by PhilB, February 19, 2017, 05:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilB

Hello,

This is my first post.

I use Xubuntu 16.04.1 LTS X64 with a Nvidia GT740 and a Core I5. I follow the instructions given by Jan Gruuthuse here http://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/topic,16750.0.html.
The nvidia-cuda-toolkit takes ages to compile so I stopped it after an hour. I then got a message saying to type "dpkg --configure -a" but I also had to stop it with Crtl-C.
I also tried the "bash bootStrap.bash --deb" but this is also an endless process so I stop it despite it says the *.debs are in their directories.

My question is : can I use the *.deb packages provided in this forum without installing all the libraries ? Then "sudo dpkg -i *" ?
Or must I install all of them ? My current display is the free Xorg and not the Nvidia one.

Thanks for helping  ;)

Jan Gruuthuse

Try the universal app: http://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/topic,17293.0.html

You don't need to build the nivida-cuda-toolkit. You only needed to copy as root the nvEncodeAPI.h!
Did you run this script createDebFromSourceUbuntu.bash? Need to set allow to run in properties?
From memory, don't have access to computer now. :(
You could try installing.deb.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: PhilB on February 19, 2017, 05:10:40 PM
I use Xubuntu 16.04.1 LTS X64 with a Nvidia GT740 and a Core I5. I follow the instructions given by Jan Gruuthuse here http://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/topic,16750.0.html.

As Jan mentioned, you get all the dependencies except of the NVENC header file if you execute the createDebFromSourceUbuntu.bash script (which also builds and installs the generated packages). You need neither NVIDIA drivers nor CUDA libraries. Building Avidemux for the first time (for subsequent builds, using the --rebuild option reduces the compilation time enormously) takes about 15 minutes on my 5 years old entry level AMD dual-core. How long is "endless" for you? It should not take longer than ~10 minutes on a core i5.

By the way, interrupting dpkg is a terrible idea.

PhilB

I have followed this advice.
Copy nvEncodeAPI.h into /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/
Run ./createDebFromSourceUbuntu.bash --no-install
I started at 20:30 and now it is 21:31

What I see from the log :
Core will be built
    Qt5 will be built
    Cli will be built
    Plugins will be built
***  Optional Library  ***
***      Summary       ***
*** Video Encoder      ***
    NVENC          Yes
*** Miscellaneous      ***
    gettext        Yes
    SDL            No
    XVideo         Yes
    VDPAU          Yes
    LIBVA          Yes
***   Release Build    ***

-- Packager=deb, valid choices= {deb,rpm,tgz,none}

-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
CMake Warning:
  Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

CMAKE_EDIT_COMMAND
    ENABLE_QT5

-- Build files have been written to: /home/jon/DEB_paquets/avidemux_2.6.18/buildCore

One hour and only the core built ? The task manager shows the processor does nothing now.

eumagga0x2a

First of all, I'd recommend to use the current git instead of the last release.

Quote from: PhilB on February 19, 2017, 08:38:07 PM
I have followed this advice.
Copy nvEncodeAPI.h into /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/
Run ./createDebFromSourceUbuntu.bash --no-install
I started at 20:30 and now it is 21:31

What I see from the log :
Core will be built
    Qt5 will be built
    Cli will be built
    Plugins will be built
***  Optional Library  ***
***      Summary       ***
*** Video Encoder      ***
    NVENC          Yes
*** Miscellaneous      ***
    gettext        Yes
    SDL            No
    XVideo         Yes
    VDPAU          Yes
    LIBVA          Yes
***   Release Build    ***

-- Packager=deb, valid choices= {deb,rpm,tgz,none}

-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
CMake Warning:
  Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

CMAKE_EDIT_COMMAND
    ENABLE_QT5

-- Build files have been written to: /home/jon/DEB_paquets/avidemux_2.6.18/buildCore

One hour and only the core built ? The task manager shows the processor does nothing now.

Probably nothing has been built, yet no idea why. What does the content of /tmp/logbuildCore say?

edit: You don't need to make createDebFromSourceUbuntu.bash executable. Just run

bash createDebFromSourceUbuntu.bash --no-install

("--no-install" if you don't what that the script attempts to install the packages) within the /home/jon/DEB_paquets/avidemux_2.6.18 directory.

PhilB

Thank you for your interest.

Here what I did :
Reboot the computer, delete the directory, create a new one /home/jon/avidemux2. extract the latest git inside it (the stable version would be fine too).
Command line :
bash bootStrap.bash --deb --with-core --with-cli --with-plugins.
After less than 5 minutes, I got the following message :
** ALL DONE **
** The installable packages are in the debs folder **

I now have 10 DEB files in this directory. Success !  :D

eumagga0x2a

Good  :) I wonder if explicitly calling the interpreter (bash) made the difference.

Quote from: PhilB on February 19, 2017, 11:42:51 PM
Command line :
bash bootStrap.bash --deb --with-core --with-cli --with-plugins

There is no need to use any of the --with- options above because they are the default, just

bash bootStrap.bash --deb --rebuild

("--rebuild" will try to preserve existing build directories). If you install liba52-0.7.4-dev, libmp4v2-dev, libass-dev and libmad0-dev, you could shave a few MiB off the size of the Avidemux binaries adding the options --with-system-libass --with-system-liba52 --with-system-libmad --with-system-libmp4v2 to the bootStrap.bash command line.

PhilB

No luck...  >:(
It built well one time and now I get again the same problem : building the debs stops.

eumagga0x2a

Why did you try to build again? Why were you trying to build the release? What was the exact command you executed? What did the log file /tmp/logbuildCore of the failed attempt contain? Unless you're just looking for sympathy, please provide some information.

PhilB

Why did you try to build again?
Because I wanted to test the parameters you gave (libass... etc).

Why were you trying to build the release?
Because I deleted and unpacked avidemux2-master.zip in the same folder so all my DEBs were deleted.

What was the exact command you executed?
bash bootStrap.bash --deb --with-core --with-cli --with-plugins --with-system-libass --with-system-liba52 --with-system-libmad --with-system-libmp4v2

Some info : It says something about dummy ... CMakeFiles/libavutil_dummy
https://1fichier.com/?2d3an9v88e

Each time I must kill all the processes with the task manager.
Even with only the --deb option, I no longer can obtain my DEB files.

Here is the logBuildCore :

Jan Gruuthuse

if you did install ccache, clear cache.
ccache -C
check if basics are there:
dpkg -l dpkg -l build-essential cmake pkg-config yasm libsqlite3-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfribidi-dev libxv-dev libvdpau-dev libva-dev libpulse-dev qttools5-dev-tools qtbase5-dev libqt5opengl5-dev libpng12-dev libaften-dev libmp3lame-dev libx264-dev x264 libx265-dev x265 libfaad-dev libfaac-dev libopus-dev libvorbis-dev libogg-dev libdca-dev
should produce:
QuoteDesired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                           Version              Architecture         Description
+++-==============================-====================-====================-=================================================================
ii  build-essential                12.1ubuntu2          amd64                Informational list of build-essential packages
ii  cmake                          3.5.1-1ubuntu3       amd64                cross-platform, open-source make system
ii  libaften-dev                   0.0.8+git20100105-0u amd64                audio AC3 encoder - development files
ii  libdca-dev:amd64               0.0.5-7build1        amd64                decoding library for DTS Coherent Acoustics streams (development)
ii  libfaac-dev:amd64              1.28+cvs20151130-1   amd64                AAC audio encoder (development)
ii  libfaad-dev:amd64              2.8.0~cvs20150510-1  amd64                freeware Advanced Audio Decoder - development files
ii  libfontconfig1-dev:amd64       2.11.94-0ubuntu1.1   amd64                generic font configuration library - development
ii  libfribidi-dev                 0.19.7-1             amd64                Development files for FreeBidi library
ii  libmp3lame-dev:amd64           3.99.5+repack1-9buil amd64                MP3 encoding library (development)
ii  libogg-dev:amd64               1.3.2-1              amd64                Ogg bitstream library development files
ii  libopus-dev:amd64              1.1.2-1ubuntu1       amd64                Opus codec library development files
ii  libpng12-dev:amd64             1.2.54-1ubuntu1      amd64                PNG library - development
ii  libpulse-dev:amd64             1:8.0-0ubuntu3.2     amd64                PulseAudio client development headers and libraries
ii  libqt5opengl5-dev:amd64        5.5.1+dfsg-16ubuntu7 amd64                Qt 5 OpenGL library development files
ii  libsqlite3-dev:amd64           3.11.0-1ubuntu1      amd64                SQLite 3 development files
ii  libva-dev:amd64                1.7.0-1              amd64                Video Acceleration (VA) API for Linux -- development files
ii  libvdpau-dev:amd64             1.1.1-3ubuntu1       amd64                Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix (development files)
ii  libvorbis-dev:amd64            1.3.5-3              amd64                development files for Vorbis General Audio Compression Codec
ii  libx264-dev:amd64              2:0.148.2643+git5c65 amd64                development files for libx264
ii  libx265-dev:amd64              1.9-3                amd64                H.265/HEVC video stream encoder (development files)
ii  libxv-dev:amd64                2:1.0.10-1           amd64                X11 Video extension library (development headers)
ii  pkg-config                     0.29.1-0ubuntu1      amd64                manage compile and link flags for libraries
ii  qtbase5-dev:amd64              5.5.1+dfsg-16ubuntu7 amd64                Qt 5 base development files
ii  qttools5-dev-tools             5.5.1-3build1        amd64                Qt 5 development tools
ii  x264                           2:0.148.2643+git5c65 amd64                video encoder for the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC standard
ii  x265                           1.9-3                amd64                H.265/HEVC video stream encoder
ii  yasm                           1.3.0-2              amd64                modular assembler with multiple syntaxes support

You did not try to build as superuser (sudo) prompt showing :~/avidemux2#?
try building again as user, prompt showing :~/avidemux2$
cd ~/avidemux2 && bash bootStrap.bash --deb

when the build finishes without errors, you should find deb builds in
Quote~/avidemux2/debs
Go there and list:
cd ~/avidemux2/debs && dir

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: PhilB on February 21, 2017, 01:07:52 AM
Quote from: eumagga0x2aWhy did you try to build again?
Because I wanted to test the parameters you gave (libass... etc).

I see...

Quote from: PhilB
Quote from: eumagga0x2aWhy were you trying to build the release?
Because I deleted and unpacked avidemux2-master.zip in the same folder so all my DEBs were deleted.

The Murphy's law works. Why not using git to clone the repository?

Quote from: PhilB
Quote from: eumagga0x2aWhat was the exact command you executed?
bash bootStrap.bash --deb --with-core --with-cli --with-plugins --with-system-libass --with-system-liba52 --with-system-libmad --with-system-libmp4v2

This is not related to the build failure, but you don't need any of --with-{core,cli,plugins} because they are the default anyway, so the command should be

bash bootStrap.bash --deb --with-system-libass --with-system-liba52 --with-system-libmad --with-system-libmp4v2

You don't need ccache.

QuoteHere is the logBuildCore :

Thank you, so it is ffmpeg which sometimes doesn't build correctly. If the error is not always exactly the same, this is a clear indication of a hardware problem like defective RAM.

Jan Gruuthuse

remove the existing folder in the users home "avidemux2"
getting git:
git clone https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2.git
when finished build avidemux current:

install the created debs:
cd ~/avidemux2/debs && sudo dpkg -i *.deb

check for source updates:
cd ~/avidemux2 && git pull
build again to create new avidemux

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on February 21, 2017, 12:51:25 PM
git clone https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2.git
when finished build avidemux current:

I'd recommend for aesthetic reasons to run the clone command in a subdirectory, not directly in $HOME. Use then the bootStrap.bash options suggested in earlier replies to use system libraries whenever possible. Additionally, the option --rebuild will reuse already built, unchanged products of the compilation, dramatically speeding up subsequent builds.

Quotebuild again to create new avidemux

Keep the --rebuild option in mind.

Nevertheless, I suspect a hardware issue behind build failures.

Jan Gruuthuse

The git clone creates subdirectory in home: ~/avidemux2/

--rebuild is good for fast checking, not really needed on core i7. You see some difference. I don't use it.
bash bootStrap.bash --rebuild --deb