News:

--

Main Menu

Hardware Encoding Capabilities

Started by apollo567, February 26, 2017, 07:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apollo567

Hello,

I just wanted to ask where I can find more detailed information about which kind of Hardware accerlation for Videoencoding s currently available ?

I have currently a Skylake CPU with  a Pascal-Nvidia GPU in use.
Is the relevant Quicksync-Level or die Nvidia Videoprocessor VP8 already supportet in some way ?

Kind regards
apollo

mean

Only nvidia available at the moment (windows+linux)

For what it's worth, i tried the intel one for another subject
It's very fast, but the size/quality ratio is not very good

~ the same for the nvidia one

So it depends on what you need
If you dont care about the size, it's a good deal
If not, you'd better use the software encoder

apollo567

Hello mean,

many thx for your answer.
According to the magazines I read (c'T) Quicksync shell deliver best quality (vs Nvidia & AMD). In the past I used badaboom, which already delivered reasonable quality with 1-Pass encoding.
Unfortunately this tool is EOL and doesn't support newer hardware than a GTX 580.
Usually I encode Videos from TV in SD and HD from Mpeg 2 to Mpeg4, in average I shrink them to around half the size.
Is the Nvidia suppport generic or limited to certain Hardware Generations ?

Regards
apollo

mean

The ones with h264 and/or h265 hw encoder
If your card is not older than ~ 2 years it has at least h264 encoder

you can find more info on wikipedia for that

apollo567

Many thx, will try it , I have a  GTX 1070 so I am tensed about the outcome.
You mentioned your experience it, the outcome of Nvidia Videoencoders delivers better quality than Quicksync ?

mean

I meant that they both suffer the same tradeoff i.e. speed instead of quality

X264 with 'fast' preset was better than the intel one with an average bitrate, albeit ~ 5 times slower

For my usage size was not a problem, so i just doubled the bitrate and quality was fine

From memory 5--7 MBits/s for 720p video, quality was good

apollo567

Usually (with Badaboom) I used for SD 1800 Mbit/s and for 720p 2560 Mbit/s and quality was fine for me.
On a GTX 580 SD-Speed was up to 250 frames/s and for 720p Speed was around 80 frames/s.

Any plan to include also the Intel and/or AMD Hardware acceleration ?
BTW is it easily possible to define a recoding configuration and to apply it to a complete Folder with Fiiles (with a defined output folder) ?

apollo567

I tried it now with Nvidia Encoding.
File Sizes are somewhat big for 720 p, thats perhaps a configuration issue.
Where I have Problems is to get the sound properly reencoded and mixed (Regardless wheather MPs, AAC or AC3s).
I there a possiblity to get a higher encoding Standard than Main 3.2 ?

What I recognize its the low encoding load. I have a VPU @ 25% and a CPU load between 35 and 45%.
So I am questioning  what is the problem to get higher speed. (hope the bottleneck is not the Harddisk), in principle there should be possible to get a big improvement in encoding speed, but I am not sure where to search for.