Hello! My adventures with AviDemux; that infernal chapters question again!

Started by kctexan, March 26, 2017, 08:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kctexan

Hi, all! I am a stalwart user of AviDemux for a year or two, now, and mostly enjoy using it.  I always used TMPGEnc Authoring Works (TAW) 4, before, to "author" files: edit the unwanted video from video files, add chapters, 5 minutes apart, to the edited file, and then burn it and other files to Blu-Ray discs (formerly to DVDRs).  However, I have kind of switched over to just making Blu-Ray data discs, with unauthored, "raw" files added, which generally means getting more files per disc, so lower costs.  For a while, I had to add each file unedited, so had to endure any commercials before, during or after the program, but AviDemux rode in to save the day on that. Now, I can edit the file and burn the finished product onto a BD as a data disc.  The one big thing I miss is having those chapters in the files, so in case I can't finish a program all at once, I can come back later and just call up the chapter I got to, then finish watching. I know of no other video editing product (except for TAW) that will do that but TAW takes quite a while.  I would gladly pay real $$$$ for a version of AviDemux that would allow addition of chapters to the edited file. Thanks, and happy video editing/watching.

Jan Gruuthuse

QuoteAvidemux is a simple tool for simple video processing tasks. The keyword here is simple: it does not offer tools like a timeline, multitrack editing, you cannot freely move or splice audio and video clips from various sources. However, Avidemux allows you to do elementary things in a very straightforward way.
Source: Avidemux Quickstart

I have no idea if the developer(s) will take Avidemux into Authoring video.
A reason could be: there is a huge time deficit, developing wise.
The idea is quite simple, implementing could be another ballgame.
Just my user opinion.

eumagga0x2a

Use MKV as container and set chapters with mkvtoolnix (mkvpropedit).