News:

--

Main Menu

Cannot encode 4k (2160p)

Started by Just Saying, April 13, 2017, 03:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Saying

So I had this bug for a while, and to make sure it's not my fault, I made a clean installation of Avidemux 2.6.19 on Win7x64, everything by default.

I'm trying to encode an average 4k video (a 2160p output from Adobe Premiere Pro) to Mpeg4 AVC (x264), and what I have - if I use an "ultrafast" preset, everything works fine, but if I use any other preset or my custom settings - an error occurs (either "Cannot setup codec. Bitrate too low?" or "Video too short"). If I encode video of a smaller framesize, like 1080p - everything works fine.

Same stuff happens with Nvidia H264, Nvidia HEVC and HEVC (x265) codecs, didn't try others. I read somewhere that some codecs have issues with framesize bigger than 2000 pixels (dunno, just guessing).

Anybody had anything like this, guys?

mm0359

Maybe provide a video sample...

Just Saying

Here you go...
https://yadi.sk/i/XnvW9m7D3Gwr6k

Try to encode it with x264 "very fast" or some other presets / settings / codecs, I wonder what you will get.

eumagga0x2a

No issues encoding the sample with x264 using the "fast" preset, x265 (HEVC) using the "faster" preset or with Nvidia H264, at least on Linux.

Just Saying

mean

will try later on
Could be windows specific, it is sometimes more stringent on memory bad usage

mean

i.e. a generic bug,but triggers more easily on windows

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Just Saying on April 14, 2017, 08:15:42 AM
Windows, anyone?

Just retested briefly on Windows 7 with my own build from the current git and found no issues encoding with x264 using the "fast" preset. Decoding via DXVA doesn't work though, has to be explicitely disabled in settings.

Just Saying

So is there something wrong with my system? What can I do to make Avidemux work with 4K? I would really appreciate any suggestions.