--

Main Menu

Where is portable zip/binary download?

Started by pstein, April 29, 2017, 12:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pstein

If I remember it well then the web page

https://www.fosshub.com/Avidemux.html/

contained in the past a portable zip package version as well for download.

Where is this package now (for the latest version) ?

Peter

p3trus

- latest nightlies: http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/
- latest stable: Couldn't find a non-install version either, but you can download the installer & open it with 7zip (and most likely more packagers - just skip the folders starting with $)

Btw, has there ever been a real portable version? One that doesnt use Windows' AppData folder for storing everything but its own subdirectory?
Insofar, there's no real need/ advantage of not using the installer - except for you don't have installation rights.

AQUAR

ADM can be used as a "real portable" where it doesn't use the windows data folder but stays in the local installed folder.
Just rename avidemux.exe to avidemux_portable.exe and see for yourself.

pstein

Quote from: p3trus on April 29, 2017, 01:26:19 PM
- latest stable: Couldn't find a non-install version either, but you can download the installer & open it with 7zip (and most likely more packagers - just skip the folders starting with $)

This is really interesting.
As I found out I have to delete (or at least) the "include" folder and the *.dll.a files as well.
Furthermore there are some additional avsproxy.exe too

@AQUAR:

Your renaming hint is interesting as well.
As you suggested I renamed avidemux.exe in to avidemux_portable.exe, then deleted
C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\avidemux\
and tried it out.

I expected that all the stuff which was previously in the deleted Roaming folder will now automatically re-created as a subdirectory
of Avidemux installation folder D.\tools\avidemux\.

But there is no "custom" and no "pluginSettings" sub folder.
The old files "config" "config2", "config3" and "jobs.sql" are missing.

Where are these files stored in the "portable" version?

BTW: Where is this trick mentioned in the official Avidemux docs?
I did not found any hint

Thank you
Peter

AQUAR

@ Pstein

They are in the settings folder - a sub folder in the folder that holds the ADM executable & DLL's (folder you extract the installer files too!).
ADM_portable creates that folder on the first run.

Don't remember if I read this in the wiki or somewhere in the forum long time ago.

I always normally have multiple ADM nightlies and run them all as portables (no conflicts that way with multiple instances of ADM).

About the .dll.a files, I haven't verified this issue under windows (lack of time!).
My guess is that they point to the corresponding .dll library and its good under Linux but not under Windows.