News:

--

Main Menu

Losing audio

Started by uncertain, February 10, 2018, 07:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncertain

I have a 10 minute video that for some reason is 1.76gb (!).  When I convert it to an mp4 it brings it down to 128mb but audio is gone.  Any ideas -  for an amateur?
This is what displays when i click "info" of the original file
=====================================================
Video
Codec 4CC:      WMV3
Image Size:      1440 x 1080
Aspect Ratio:      1:1 (1:1)
Frame Rate:      29.970 fps
Total Duration:      00:10:35.572

Extra Video Properties
ExtraDataSize:      05
Extra data:      4F F1 00 01 00

Audio
Codec:         WMAPRO
Channels:      Stereo
Bitrate:      16002 Bps / 128 kbps
Frequency:      48000 Hz
Total Duration:      00:00:00.000

eumagga0x2a

Can you play the file with audio in Avidemux? If yes, which audio codec did you choose? MP4 doesn't support WMA so you must reencode audio as AAC, AC3 or MPEG-1 layer 3 (mp3).

uncertain

I never have sound when I use Avidemux, though the output always does (except in this case) when I play it on my player - VLC.  I posted on another thread about having problems with audio and you replied suggesting the latest nightly (what is that, an update?).  I'm not on HighSierra yet, waiting for a backup disc before I do the update.  Thanks for your reply!

eumagga0x2a

You didn't specify the exact version of Avidemux you are using (it is probably at least the 2.7.0 release as you were able to copy the info to clipboard, which was implemented on April 10, 2017). Since that release, over 290 patches have been pushed to git master, fixing numerous bugs (probably creating a couple of new ones too), improving polish and adding a few new features. Especially for macOS users, it makes much more sense to use a build incorporating all these improvements instead of the last release which is growing increasingly old.

So said, the first thing I'd recommend is to uninstall the release and to download and install the latest nightly build in order to see if it fixes the issue of Core Audio audio output missing all by itself. If it doesn't, it is worth checking the application log (starting Avidemux in the terminal and redirecting output to a file, more on that later if necessary).

On the other hand, I'm not optimistic about the ability of Avidemux to handle Windows Media video and audio properly.

uncertain

Thank you, I will do as you suggest.