News:

--

Main Menu

Change frame rate without re-encoding

Started by Radiorama, October 22, 2017, 08:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiorama

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I'm starting to use Avidemux after years of using VirtualDubMod because of x264 support.

I can't seem to find a way to change the fps of a video without re-encoding it. This was possible with VirtualDubMod.

I think what I need is the "Change FPS" video filter, but I can't add it to the processing chain if "Output video" is set to "Copy" (filters greyed out).

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find any answer in the forum.

Thanks,
Radiorama.

eumagga0x2a

It is impossible only to manipulate the FPS value in the container metadata with Avidemux. Depending on container, this value has purely informational character and doesn't affect playback.

AQUAR

What's the purpose being aimed for by wanting to change the FPS of the video?
Speed up, slow down, smooth action etc.

Radiorama

I'm muxing a x.264 video with multiple audio tracks. The audio tracks are coded to be in synch when video plays at 25 fps, but the video plays at 23.976 fps. I want the existing frames (i.e. no recoding) to play faster, at 25 fps. This, I think, amounts to changing a parameter in the container.

Anyway, I found that I don't need Avidemux to be able to do this after all. MKVMerge can change the fps of its input video streams.

Thanks AQUAR and eumagga0x2a for your answers.

Best,
Radiorama.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Radiorama on October 22, 2017, 02:44:27 PM
I'm muxing a x.264 video with multiple audio tracks. The audio tracks are coded to be in synch when video plays at 25 fps, but the video plays at 23.976 fps. I want the existing frames (i.e. no recoding) to play faster, at 25 fps. This, I think, amounts to changing a parameter in the container.

No, in a MKV this amounts to rewriting timestamps (DTS and PTS) of all frames in the video. In what kind of container is the source video stream stored?

eumagga0x2a

Then either the video player in use is broken discarding PTS information in video frames if the FPS at the container level contradicts (should be other way round) or the video has been really slowed down to 23.976. Correcting such a case without reencoding is unfortunately not possible with Avidemux.

Radiorama

Maybe I failed to explain. The audio and video files I'm muxing come from two different sources: the video and one of the audio tracks are NTSC, the second audio is PAL. I prefer to speed things up rather than slow them down, because PAL audio slowed down to NTSC sounds creepy, so I'm speeding up one audio track (no problem with that) and want to speed up the video as well. I solved my problem during the mux stage through mkvmerge.

Best,
Radiorama.

AQUAR

Just a comment:
PAL is speeded up from NTSC material if we are talking US movies.
Meaning you should slow it down so it actually sounds as originally intended.