Newbie-how to export video with filter applied

Started by reblok, July 27, 2017, 03:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reblok

Version: 2.6.1, Windows 10

I've used Avidemux for a few years for some simple tasks - appending, cutting, converting. But I'm at my wit's end (not a far drive) on applying a video filter.

I have a .mov file recorded with an actioncam that was upside down. So, I'm just trying to turn it right side up.

Settings:
Video Output: Mpeg 4 AVC (x264)
Filters: Rotate, rotate by 180 degrees
Audio Output: AAV (lav)

When I go into filters and hit preview, it previews correctly with the filter applied (right side up).
When I click the "Play Filtered" box on the lower right, it plays correctly with the filter applied (right side up).
But when I save the video, it is upside down, although in the correct new filetype (mp4, not mov).

I figure I gotta be missing something, but I can't figure out what it is.

reblok

Duh! As usual, user error. I had my VLC set to 180Ã,° rotate to watch the video, so of course...
:o ::)

bassasoho

hello everyone,
I am a real newbie and I have the exact same issue as described here (I see the preview correctly, I see the video correctly but it won't save correctly).
Except that whatever the software I use (VLC,  WMP, QuickTime) to play the saved video, it is still upside down.
can you please help ? Thank you so much !

eumagga0x2a

Please always report the version of Avidemux you refer to (hint: it should be at least the latest release, better the latest nightly build). Probably the source video is not really upside-down but just marked as such in the container metadata. When you rotate it 180° and reencode, the container-level info gets lost (Avidemux doesn't support it), but now the video is really upside down.

bassasoho

Thank you eumagga
The version I use is 2.6.21 on a windows 8.1 PC
And if your assumption is correct, what should I do ? ( I am sorry for these questions but I am not savvy at all with regards to videos).

eumagga0x2a

First of all try to save the video in copy mode and check if the result has a different orientation.

2.6.21 is very old, you better use the latest win64 nighly as the 2.7.0 release is already quite old too (this is not related to the current problem though).

bassasoho

eumagga0x2a

Did you try the latest nightly? The "rotate" filter definitely works for me. Please load the video, setup the video codec and the rotate filter, then save the configuration as a project script (File --> Project script --> Save As Project) and attach the .py file to your reply.