News:

--

Main Menu

Wrong Aspect ratio with SD material

Started by Lilien, September 02, 2017, 09:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilien

Hello,
I cut anamorphic 16:9 SD PAL (720*576) DVB TS-streams with Avidemux (up to v2.7) but found that the aspect ratio is not correctly handled.
Properties window shows that the video file is 16:9, but it's displayed with 4:3 aspect ratio and even more disturbing it's also saved as 4:3.
There is no problem with HD material, but for every 16:9 SD material I have to manually force the MKV muxer to save with 1024 pixel display width.
Please have a look at the attached screenshot to see an example.
Does this qualify as a bug that can be fixed?  Any help would be very appreciated. ;)

Thanks for the otherwise handy program and best regards!

eumagga0x2a

The display always uses square pixels, this is by design. Yes, you must force display width when using the MKV muxer.

Jan Gruuthuse

SD can have for certain display formats  either aspect ratio of 4:3 or 16:9, thanks to PAL or NTSC era
If you have other sized anamorphic content:
Display width would be the 1st column of Square Pixel Frame Size:

fish

When I am editing DBT TS files I use 'Mpeg TS Muxer ff' output mode. The 16:9 files display as square pixels in Avidemux but the file, when output, plays correctly as 16:9. I'm still on v2.6.
I've just tried a quick edit using 'mkv muxer' output and the resulting file plays at the wrong display ratio, you need to use 'Mpeg TS Muxer ff' output mode.