News:

--

Main Menu

speed

Started by jimjulian, September 17, 2017, 03:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimjulian

Hello,

I've been using video editing software for minor tasks such as format, mkv multi-audio removal, cropping and 3d(sbs)->2D conversion. The software does the job well but seems to take so long. I'm converting a 1.5Gb 3Dsbs video into 2D. The average projected time for completion is 7-8 hours. Is there a way to speed up the process? Will Avidemux run faster in Linux? I can easily install a dual O/S with Ubuntu alongside Windows 10. I know the process is time consuming, I did the same conversion last night with ffmpeg. That took several hours. I started at 10:25PM and went to bed at 1:30AM, and woke up this morning to find the task completed.

Thank you

Jan Gruuthuse

It depends on you hardware, cpu & gpu, if it's well supported for hardware acceleration. And if quality loss is visual / acceptable to you.
Speedy hard disks, ram => 8 GB or more.
Gain would be lesser on dual core laptop then on a quad core desktop
All I can say do test with 1/2 hour video.
You did test avidemux for 3Dsbs to 2D conversion?

jimjulian

Hello,

Thanks for responding.
   In the middle of the 3D-to-2D transform with Avidemux now. Anticipated time is 5-7 hours.
   I'm using Intel Core Duo with 4Gb ram and a 7400RPM ,1Tb Western Digital HDD. When I move up to an i5 or i7, will there be significant improvement?
   I'm saving in mp4/aac/h264 file. Is there a faster combination. The programs running 4 hours now with a projected finish time in six more hours. I tried giving highest priority to the program too reduce the time required, but my screensaver came on, and I almost never got control back. I'm back to 'Normal' priority now.

I started at 11:AM and the time is 6:30PM. The file is only 37% complete. I have aborted the conversion.

Jan Gruuthuse

Not if you're going from mobile core i3 (laptop)  to mobile core i5/i7 (most of these are dual core)
There should be a speed difference going to core i7/i9 (desktop), I can't tell if it will that great: time wise.

Test with a 5 or 10 minute video clip.

some info on CPU:
Best Intel processor: Core i3, i5 and i7 explained