News:

--

Main Menu

one issue and one question

Started by terminaltrip421, January 26, 2018, 05:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminaltrip421

and the two are somewhat related. I like to use ffmpeg to copy 4 frames per second from video files into images for scanning purposes and the output files are relatively proportional to the video resolution and bitrate with the smaller the two properties are the smaller the image files are and thus the less space they take up. the HDD space can really add up.

I record videos at 30Mb/s and 1080p for keeping but for ffmpeg frame copying I'd much prefer something in the range of 1280p and 3-5k Mb/s. In trying to use avidemx (which I was turned onto / use for its copying ability) there's a whole lot of language that is foreign to me.

so all other setting aside on output tab 2 I believe it was was a setting that allowed for an input of pixel height and width(?) and aspect ration and I thought this is where I would choose to down-convert the video dimensions but inputting 1280x720 (for an already 1.78 video) the video remained 1080p.

so I guess my question(s) is /are where might the setting for choosing output video dimensions be and additionally if possible might someone be able to point me towards the program's fastest encoding setting for 1280p and between 3-5k Mbps? video quality is not an issue just encoding speed as I have what most would probably consider an old or weak machine.

appreciate any help, I hope this is n okay place to ask as I didn't see any other help section and appreciate all past help as well.

Jan Gruuthuse

Resizing can only be done when you're not using [Copy] mode for Video Output
In Video output click on [Filters].
In Left column:
-  |<-->| Transform: select an available Resize option like swsResize, vaapi: Resize, vdpau: Resize
-  OpenGL: openGL Reszie (if OpenGL is enabled in avidemux preferences and present in your OS)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: terminaltrip421 on January 26, 2018, 05:20:38 AM
might someone be able to point me towards the program's fastest encoding setting for 1280p and between 3-5k Mbps? video quality is not an issue just encoding speed as I have what most would probably consider an old or weak machine.

Install a NVIDIA graphics card starting with the Kepler generation, use the latest Avidemux nightly instead of the release and select the "Nvidia H264" encoder as video codec (reduce the default, very high bitrate in the codec configuration). On an aging PC with a budget CPU this might bring ~10x and higher speed boost in comparison to x264.

terminaltrip421

thank you guys and sorry if I posted this in wiki, I thought I was posting to user interface and usability. or if it had to get moved here sorry for posting it in the other =)

edit: if installing a new graphics card is out of the question, what might the next quickest encoder settings be? I'm getting very little work and am already in debt unfortunately.

eumagga0x2a

Use "Mpeg4 AVC (x264)" then and deselect "Use advanced configuration" in the codec config. Leave all other setting as they are, defaulting to the "superfast" preset and baseline profile.