Avidemux 2.6.2 and 2.7 File test1.mpg was NOT saved correctly

Started by onlyone, November 07, 2017, 12:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onlyone

Hi, I'm trying to convert an avi file to mpeg-2.
These are the settings:
Video output: Mpeg2(ff)
Encoding mode: two pass - video size
Audio output: AC3 (Aften) 384 kbps
Output format: Mpeg-PS Muxer(ff)

I have attached the input file info

When I try to save the file avidemux gives me this message: "File test1.mpg was NOT saved correctly."
What should I do?

Edit: I have tried on windows 10 64 bit and ubuntu 16.04 64 bit

eumagga0x2a

Please try the latest nightly from http://avidemux.org/nightly/ or build it from the current git master on Linux. If it still fails to reencode the video, please provide the log file (admlog.txt on Windows, the console output that you should redirect to a file on Linux) from the Avidemux session resulting in the failure. This info will allow to judge if a sample is necessary to identify the problem.

onlyone

Ok, this is the windows file. On Linux it seems that the error is the same (this is only the final part):

[lavc] Enabling MT encoder with 8 threads
[ffmpeg4] Average bitrate =20315 kb/s
[ffMpeg4] Setup-ing Pass 1
[LAVCODEC]me_method : 5
[LAVCODEC]qmin : 2
[LAVCODEC]qmax : 31
[LAVCODEC]max_b_frames : 2
[LAVCODEC]mpeg_quant : 1
[LAVCODEC]max_qdiff : 3
[LAVCODEC]gop_size : 18
[LAVCODEC]lumi_masking : 0,050000
[LAVCODEC]dark_masking : 0,010000
[LAVCODEC]qcompress : 0,500000
[LAVCODEC]qblur : 0,500000
[LAVCODEC]temporal_cplx_masking No activated
[LAVCODEC]spatial_cplx_masking No activated
[adm_lavLogCallback] 20:08:03-133  [lavc] bitrate above max bitrate
[ff] Cannot open codec
[Save] setup failed for pass1 encoder
[ffMpeg2Encoder] Destroying.
[lavc] killing threads
[ffMpeg4Encoder] Closing stat file
[Save] cannot create encoder for pass 2
[stopThread] 20:08:03-133  Destroying threadQueue

eumagga0x2a

Quote[adm_lavLogCallback] 20:08:03-133  [lavc] bitrate above max bitrate

Bitrate too high?

AQUAR

According to the Gspot info for the media file, the huffyuv bitrate is pretty typical.
Strange therefore that Lavc reports it as being too high. 

Huffyuv is usually associated with capturing video (eg from old VHS tapes).
Is that the case here?
Anyway, if the capture program has compression options for huffyuv, then try setting it to the highest level.
It will remain lossless - but if you have a very old (slow!) computer it might drop frames during the capture (due to the compression processing failing to keep up with the capturing rate).

eumagga0x2a

Not the huffyuv but the mpeg2 bitrate:

The encoder settings should be adjusted accordingly to bump the maximum bitrate or to lower the average one.

onlyone

Quote from: AQUAR on November 08, 2017, 12:08:02 PM
According to the Gspot info for the media file, the huffyuv bitrate is pretty typical.
Strange therefore that Lavc reports it as being too high. 

Huffyuv is usually associated with capturing video (eg from old VHS tapes).
Is that the case here?
Anyway, if the capture program has compression options for huffyuv, then try setting it to the highest level.
It will remain lossless - but if you have a very old (slow!) computer it might drop frames during the capture (due to the compression processing failing to keep up with the capturing rate).

Yes, old VHS tapes captured with VirtualDub. I followed a guide, so now I have 30 tapes in this format with this bitrate (the total now is about 650 GB). I used an old pc to capture the tapes, but I can use a Skylake build to convert every single file.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on November 08, 2017, 12:28:49 PM
Not the huffyuv but the mpeg2 bitrate:

The encoder settings should be adjusted accordingly to bump the maximum bitrate or to lower the average one.

The max bitrate is 9999, so I can't adjust that to match the average bitrate, what can I do to lower the average bitrate? I simply can't do another capture of all files.

eumagga0x2a

Video Output: Mpeg2 (ff) --> Configure --> Basic Settings -->Encoding mode [Two Pass - Average Bitrate]

AQUAR

Just Curious:
Is there a reason for recoding with MPEG2?

If not, you will get a better compression level, or a better video results at similar bit rates, with MPEG4-part10 (AVC / H.264).
The current stable version of Avidemux does very well with AVC recoding (it was designed to cope with this complex codec).

I used to recode huffyuv captured content with Xvid, and then redid it all again with AVC when I got a new (cheap!) media player.

onlyone

thank you @eumagga0x2a, so my limit is 9999, I think that this is not a big quality problem for the output files.

@AQUAR it's a compatibility problem, most of the converted tapes are for family members, they have a variety of TV or media player, so I don't want to make a version for every one of them or prepare a new one when they are gonna change their device. But it's a interesting info, I think I'm gonna try for my own archive.