Please restore these items to newer versions

Started by BG Davis, January 06, 2018, 05:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BG Davis

These useful features have been removed from later versions - it would be wonderful to have them restored.

1. Allow for save of sequence of frames as JPEG. (Older version 2.5 allowed this.)
2. Bring back the calibrated color/lighting adjustments in Eq2.  (Older version 2.5 had this, and it made adjustments much more precise; now it's all subjective.)  (Image attached.)
3. Bring back ability to edit just one portion of a video clip.  (Older version 2.5 allowed this, and it is very useful.)

Apologies if any of these steps have been taken.  (I don't do automated updates because of occasional backward progress from one version to the next, as in the 3 examples cited.)

In the attached image, newer version is above, older version (with numerical calibration) below.

Jan Gruuthuse

You need to understand:
2.5 branch is a frame based editor
2.6 and upwards is time based as newer codecs don't work with frames.
Part of frame shown maybe have references in previous or upcoming frames.

Update only comes into 2.7 nightly found here: http://avidemux.org/nightly/
2.5 and 2.6 branches are no longer updated

BG Davis

Thanks for the clarification regarding frame grabs. :D

The other two items should still be quite easy to implement, and it would be very nice if they were restored. 
The calibrated sliders were extremely useful.
The editing of a segment of a clip should work if the user starts and ends the segment on an I-frame, no?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: BG Davis on January 07, 2018, 04:25:45 PM

I played with a patch implementing this, but the result looked so ugly that I scrapped the work. You can always save the current state of editing as a project and use the line of the .py file related to the eq2 filter for future reference.

QuoteThe editing of a segment of a clip should work if the user starts and ends the segment on an I-frame, no?

No, these two things are completely unrelated. I tried to explain it in http://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/topic,18158.0.html, there are filter which can be made partial i.e. applied only to a portion of video. eq2 is partializable in the latest nightlies too.

BG Davis

Thank you for your very complete answers; I appreciate you help!
I guess I didn't explain myself well when I said "editing" - I was thinking of filters.
Is it not better to try to start and end the filtering on an I-frame?  Or is that not relevant for eq2?

Thanks for the tip on saving as a project ("You can always save the current state of editing as a project and use the line of the .py file related to the eq2 filter for future reference.")
I've never saved a project in Avidemux; I assume the .py file is part of this?

I just installed nightly build: 2.7.0 / 2.7.0 180105 Nightly (January 5, 2018)
Change log included "[eq2] Make the eq2 video filter partializable"
Does this mean that one can edit a segment of a clip?
If so, how?  I can't find any way to do this.  (I selected a portion of a clip in the timeline and set Saturation in eq2 to zero, resulting in grayscale in the monitor/editing area. This had no effect.)
If not, what does it mean?

I note that the very useful "Play Filtered" box has disappeared.  This is really a move in the wrong direction.

Jan Gruuthuse

You mark sequence with [A ] and [ B] where you want to apply the filter.
Select the Mplayer eq2 filter, when it appears in Active filters, you right mouse click on the filter.
Select make partial (this should now as such tested in preview mode)

It was the wish to simply the interface by the lead developer.
Preview is enabled with the 4th icon from top left on avidemux GUI (filmstrip with a blue filter) ;)

Jan Gruuthuse

In partial filter click on [Configure] previous screenshot in above message. See next popup (screenshot)
Left part shows original video, left shows filtered.
You can adjust filter, then either
- use slide slider just below player section in that window
- press play

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: BG Davis on January 07, 2018, 05:26:26 PM
Is it not better to try to start and end the filtering on an I-frame?  Or is that not relevant for eq2?

Using filters implies that the video is going to be reencoded. Whether a particular frame is an I-frame or not matters only in copy mode.

QuoteI've never saved a project in Avidemux;

You missed the major part and value of the application then.

QuoteI assume the .py file is part of this?

An Avidemux project is a .py (python script) file.

QuoteI note that the very useful "Play Filtered" box has disappeared.

The checkbox has been removed from the selection widget because it had nothing to do with selection and markers. This has freed space for selection duration display. The "play filtered" feature is still there of course: it has become an action and as such a part of the "Video" menu and a toolbar button. I'm not a graphical artist, so the icon likely turned out to be not suggestive enough.

BG Davis

I really appreciate the useful and detailed information you have provided.
I will retry the updated version.

I still have one question:
"Whether a particular frame is an I-frame or not matters only in copy mode."
In the past if I cut a clip where it made the most aesthetic sense (not on an I-frame), that clip would cause problems when I tried to incorporate it into a longer video.  Lots of error messages and crashes.  Based on this it seems that working from I-frames matters in other cases as well.

Thanks again for your help!

BG Davis

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on January 07, 2018, 05:46:32 PM
In partial filter click on [Configure] previous screenshot in above message. See next popup (screenshot)
Left part shows original video, left shows filtered.
You can adjust filter, then either
- use slide slider just below player section in that window
- press play
Thanks!  This is indeed useful.  I had set the markers but somehow didn't get the result.  I'll try again based on your instructions.

BG Davis

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on January 07, 2018, 05:40:22 PM
You mark sequence with [A ] and [ B] where you want to apply the filter.
Select the Mplayer eq2 filter, when it appears in Active filters, you right mouse click on the filter.
Select make partial (this should now as such tested in preview mode)"
For me the sequence was a bit different.
When I select the eq2 filter (or any other filter), the filter controls open.  Nothing appears in the Active filters column.  (See attached image.)
To make the filter name appear in the Active Filters column, I have to click OK on the filter controls (with or without making changes). 
Then the filter name appears in the Active Filters column. 
Then I can right-click on the filter name and select Partial.
"Preview is enabled with the 4th icon from top left on avidemux GUI (filmstrip with a blue filter) ;)"
Works perfectly, thanks!

Jan Gruuthuse

The sequence described mainly, is to your question setting the filter as partial.
  • The filter appears only as Active Filter once you agreed the settings with pressing [ OK ]
    This is also way to remove or move filter up or down (multiple filters active)
Then continuing the preview, previewing can be done the 1st time without setting filter active.

Seems very flexible way of working, nice job done by developers. Pretty nice basic editing tool just like Swiss army pocketknife. Thanks as usual.

BG Davis

Yes, the working area interface is very nice and the [Play] function (instead of the slider in previous versions) is a welcome addition.

BG Davis

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 07, 2018, 04:59:31 PM
Quote from: BG Davis on January 07, 2018, 04:25:45 PM

I played with a patch implementing this, but the result looked so ugly that I scrapped the work. "
I'm not a programmer so I have no idea: wouldn't it be relatively easy to work from the code already written for previous versions (like 2.5, which had the calibrated sliders) and integrate it into the current iteration?