[Solved] Cutting problem - A-frame remains

Started by ivitek, March 31, 2018, 01:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivitek

Hi,

when cutting in the middle of the movie (A and B is set by me), it works as usual: A frame disapears, B frame remains.
But when cutting from A to the end (B is not set by me), A frame remains!

I've noticed it in avidemux_r180327_win64Qt5_522 and additionally in files made by few earlier versions - but I can't specify.

Thanks for repairing - if it's a bug, not a feature :-)

eumagga0x2a

It has been changed intentionally. Why in the world would one want to keep B in a cut at the end of a video? "A" must remain because it is often the current position.

ivitek

I'll try to put an example:

I have a recording of a movie, it has f. e. 20 frames (1-20). Frames 5,6,7 and 18,19,20 are commerials which I want to get rid of. Now I have to do:

Cut 1:
Set A to 5, B to 8, Delete

Cut 2:
Set A to 17, Delete

Commercials are completelly gone. But there's a different behavior of A.
In Cut 1 A acts as the "first frame to delete", in Cut 2 the "last one to keep".

And I simply want both to act as "first to delete". Both should behave same way and A in Cut 2 should be 18 instead of 17.
(As it was earlier, I think...)

Now it makes me to use A differently when cutting in-the-middle and at-the-end.
That's the bug I see, as a feature it makes no sense to me...

eumagga0x2a

Yes, the behavior is intentionally different. The usual work flow when cutting at the end is to set entry point A, leave the exit point at the default value ( = total duration) and hit delete. Deleting A would require Avidemux either rewinding to the start of the video or seeking to the new last frame (seeking to the last keyframe before that, then decoding the whole GOP). Both options feel quite disruptive or can be time consuming. So said, I am not going to change the new behavior. Who needs to remove a particular frame and on, can simply go to the previous frame and proceed as usual.

ivitek

Yes, I understand that. I was OK with previous behavior - seeking new last frame. Because I knew "it has to be so", when you cut out the last frames.
And I was quite surprised when I found one extra frame in many projects :-(

OK, I'll change my work flow...

ivitek

One more question.

Where to find list of changes made in every new nightly version?

Just want to prevent surprises of unexpected results, when using usual work flow ;-)

eumagga0x2a

Match the git revision displayed in "Help" --> "About" and the list at https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2/commits/master

Thank you very much for testing nightlies, even if not all request can be granted.

eumagga0x2a

BTW, the commit that changed the behavior of ADM_EditorSegment::truncateVideo dates back to 2017-09-07.