Avidemux 2.7, long/large videofiles open with 8 hour+ timeline.

Started by summa, April 17, 2018, 06:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

summa

Hello,
I have Avidemux 2.7.0 on a W7x64 System.

I want to cut and edit a .mp4 file that is 1.85GB large and 1h45m long.
When I open the file with Avidemux, the timeline in the bottom shows a length of 08:26:07.161.
If I try to play the video inside the program, it will only run for about 3 seconds, then it stops. Navigation itself works, but since the scale doesn't show the actual length of the file, but rather the >8 hours, there are "blank" sections in there of several minutes where the preview image won't change.

With files that are smaller and shorter in duration, the program works perfectly fine. Is this a common bug? Is there a hotfix for it?

eumagga0x2a

Have you tested with the latest nightly (r180417)? Please report back whether the problem persists.

summa

Yes, I just installed and tested the version.
Now the program crashes when I try to load that specific file. Another file with ~1.27GB and 1h47m length loaded just fine, although it took a while.

I attached the error messages to this post.

Windows also created a few files:
WERD4DB.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml 4KB
WERE07F.tmp.appcompat.txt 82 KB
WERE10D.tmp.mdmp 17.134 KB

Let me know if those would be of interest for you.

eumagga0x2a

It would be great if you could provide admlog.txt (%localappdata%\avidemux\admlog.txt) from an attempt to load the presumably corrupted MP4 file and either the complete video or the first ~200 MiB as a sample via WeTransfer, Dropbox or a similar service.

summa

I attached the admlog.txt. I will see what I can do to submit a sample,  since the file is quiet large and I'd need another cutting program in order to reduce the size, wouldn't I?
And your guess is correct, it is a .mp4 file.

Edit: I sent you a private message regarding the video file.

eumagga0x2a

As the assert fails in the Mp4 demuxer, no guessing is involved :-D

Thank you for the replacement sample.

summa

Hello, I just wanted to give an update for everyone that might stumble across this anytime in the future.

After having eumagga0x2a take a look at the file in question, he suggested that some information in the file was missing (the files also didn't show any length in the windows explorer) and that I should remux them with ffmpeg.

The tool "ffmpeg" can be easily found with an internet search.
To make it work properly, I followed the steps in the highlighted answer on this topic:

https://video.stackexchange.com/questions/20495/how-do-i-set-up-and-use-ffmpeg-in-windows

The command to fix the file was:

ffmpeg -i broken.mp4 -c copy fixed.mp4

After the process was completed, Avidemux could open the file without problems.

Thank you for your help eumagga0x2a.