v2.5.6 crashes at startup on Win7-32

Started by jaydear, February 15, 2012, 11:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaydear

I simply can't run the program on my new Dell Vostro 3550 4GB with Win7 professional 32bit. Crashes every time.

Here's the error report...
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   avidemux2.exe
  Application Version:   2.5.6.0
  Application Timestamp:   4efc4cf6
  Fault Module Name:   msvcrt.dll
  Fault Module Version:   7.0.7600.16385
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4a5bda6f
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   0000996a
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   3081
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Looks like the problem is with Visual C++ runtime.

I have disabled some services when I got the 3550 (Black Viper conservative settings), but everything else I'm running are OK and nice and fast.

Any ideas?

Jan Gruuthuse

Weird? Is that laptop not installed with Windows 7 64-bits? Check again for 32-bit/64-bit OS and use the appropriate avidemux installer?
QuoteGenuine WindowsÃ,® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT) with Recovery DVD
Genuine WindowsÃ,® 7 Professional (64 BIT) with Recovery DVD
English Genuine WindowsÃ,® 7 Professional (64 BIT) with Recovery DVD
English Genuine WindowsÃ,® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT) with Recovery DVD
Dell Vostro 3550 <- click
Have you had running previous versions running of avidemux? See if this helps?: http://www.avidemux.org/smf/index.php?topic=10287.0
If you did not download from http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/ see if one of those helps?

jaydear

Definitely Win7 Pro 32 bit... different options in Australia I guess. I need 32 bit - see attached jpg.

I downloaded from avidemux.berlios.de, but I'll get again from razorback and see if there's a difference.

I ran the same installer on a older PC with XP Pro and it is 100% OK. I haven't run any previous Avidemux versions on the new 3550.

jaydear

32 bit download from razorback still crashes. Same error message.

Jan Gruuthuse

Try install as administator? Or use XP mode in windows7? If these fail to: either you try and build your own 2.5.6 on Windows: This is a guide to building Avidemux from SVN in Microsoft Windows <- click near the middle of that page.
Or you try the 2.6 experimental <- click  (kind of work in progress)

jaydear

Tried installing as admin, and not as admin, and also latest beta of v2.6... it still crashes.

Don't know about building, not a programmer, only good with GUIs. I'll have a look though JIC.

Here's last error report in case it is useful for the developer/s...

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   avidemux.exe
  Application Version:   2.6.0.7719
  Application Timestamp:   4efe033a
  Fault Module Name:   msvcrt.dll
  Fault Module Version:   7.0.7600.16385
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4a5bda6f
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   0000996a
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   3081
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Thanks for your suggestions.  :(

jaydear

I just searched for msvcrt.dll, thinking it would be in Windows or System dir's and found there are three of them (in Java, in an Intel folder, and in the Dell webcam folder). None of them are the version in the error message - they're all different and all v6.x.

So where is this one that is crashing? Weird.

Is Avidemux installer supposed to drop one in it's folder?

I've also just tried the Win7 compatibility wizard which suggested XP SP2, but it still crashed. I tried others, same result every time.

Maybe the version of msvcrt.dll Avidemux needs is missing?

Jan Gruuthuse

Try this and have the windows 7 disc in the drive:
QuoteSimply open the Start menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and choose Run As AdminÃ,¬istrator. Respond to the User Account Control prompt. Then, at the Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow.

The utility will scan your system files and attempt to repair any damage that it finds. Note that it might ask you for the Windows 7 distribution media in order to carry out these repairs.

Or someone that has avidemux running on Windows7 32-bit could check the properties of msvcrt.dll

for the developers: there seems to be an issue with msvcrt.dll
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/abx4dbyh(v=VS.100).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235460(v=VS.100).aspx

jaydear

Results from system file checker...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\windows\system32>

Jan Gruuthuse

seems to be an permission issue? 0xc0000005 which means Access Denied according Micro$oft.
Check the permissions on your file: If the permissions are not as listed, then make changes to look like the permissions below. It should be:
System            - Read & Execute
Administrators    - Read & Execute
Users             - Read & Execute
Trusted Installer - Full Control
                     Modify
                     Read & Execute
                     Read
                     Write
The file referring most likely to be avidemux executable?

jaydear

Hmmm, In Win7-32 the dialogue is apparently different (see attached jpg), but even so it looks like the first three groups have full read & write permissions.

The fourth - Trusted installer - doesn't exist. I poked around, but no sign of such a group in the editor.

I can't reconcile the fact that the version of msvcrt.dll that is being reported doesn't exist on my PC. Isn't it usual for a program to install the version of runtime environment that it needs? Maybe Avidemux is crashing because it's not there.

I've installed Xmedia Recode and it runs OK, but it doesn't have what Avidemux has, Yadiff de-int for a start. I hope we can get it going.

Jan Gruuthuse

Windows 7: Service Name (registry): TrustedInstaller
http://www.blackviper.com/windows-services/windows-modules-installer/
eventually consider: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html (not recommended)
Or use another usb/stick/hard disk (internal/external) and install ubuntu 11.10 64-bit, watch out not to use/erase windows/data hard disk.
I'm at the end of my ideas (Ubuntu user, no longer using windows)

jaydear

Success!  ;D

By starting my PC in Safe Mode with Networking I found that the stable and beta versions ran just fine.

After a LOT of trawling around the interweb I discovered AppCrash Viewer from NirSoft. This great and free little utility shows a list of all recent appcrashes with full details of what went wrong.

The culprit was obviously a module of ZoneAlarm because it was shown to be the last thing to be accessed before Avidemux crashed. Even though I had disabled ZoneAlarm a few times for tests, it had to be totally uninstalled to allow Avidemux to proceed.

I also found what looks like a logical procedure for diagnosing appcrashes at slideshare.net/vikasmedhekar/windows-7-app-crash-fix but fortunately did not need to go through that.

Grobe

Hi.

I've just tested this on a XP computer. I installed latest version of Zonealarm and suddenly Avidemux just crashed everytime I try to start it.

Here is some data:
Error signature:
Quote from: errormsgAppName: avidemux2.exe    AppVer: 2.5.6.0    ModName: msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 7.0.2600.5512    Offset: 000370a0

Technical information in file G:\....\temp\de14_appcompat.txt
See attachment to this post.

Jan Gruuthuse

@Grobe
Either you uninstall zonealarm or you tell it to ignore msvcrt.dll if you can.

Quote from: jaydear on February 22, 2012, 11:41:27 AM
The culprit was obviously a module of ZoneAlarm because it was shown to be the last thing to be accessed before Avidemux crashed. Even though I had disabled ZoneAlarm a few times for tests, it had to be totally uninstalled to allow Avidemux to proceed.