News:

--

Main Menu

MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid4) Encoding & PAR

Started by AQUAR, August 31, 2013, 08:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQUAR

This is a confusing concept so hopefully I can get the story straight.

With Ver. 2.6.5 we again (thanks mean) have the option to specify the (Pixel Aspect Ratio) PAR of the output video. This is great for correctly recoding video with a 1:1 PAR to display on "not square pixel"  based screens ("analog screens - virtual pixels").

However, sometimes I get 4:3 video that is  incorrectly recoded for square pixel screens, giving a very stretched (Display Aspect Ratio) DAR on "square pixel" based screens (fat heads everywhere!). An easy fix for these types of sources is to set a PAR value that allows the media player's scaling engine to reverse that stretching. Its why I wanted to be able to "custom" set the PAR. 

This is kind of the reverse of the PAR feature that is now included.
Maybe this could be done by adding a couple of setting for the DAR of the output video?
(ie setting DAR to change the PAR to in turn force a scaling back to 4:3 or 16:9).

I know you could recode with the rescaling plugin to achieve this correction as well, but with recoding quality loss.
And some media players will let you change the displayed aspect ratio as well (eg VLC).