News:

--

Main Menu

h.265 / HEVC

Started by alex2016g, July 30, 2014, 11:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex2016g

So I had a read about the new H.265/HEVC codex that is suppose to be "twice as efficient as MPEG-4/H.264, and experiences only a minimal loss in quality" and naturally wondered if there is any future integration of it into my favourite video encoding software Avidemux.

A quick search and nothing... not even a mention on this forum!
I understand that it is supper new and all but can some one in the know tell me if and when it might be used in avidemux?
Very anxious as it means half of the data needed to encode the same quality videos.

Table below taken from Report on HEVC compression performance verification testing http://phenix.it-sudparis.eu/jct/doc_end_user/current_document.php?id=9089

jbriggsnh

I am using HEVC for UHD now and can't wait until its supported in Avidemux. Thanks for bringing this up.

twinsun

HEVC (H265) is impressive vs AVC (H264).
At least half the bit rate for the same quality.

I have some encoded one, to try and see, MPC-HC plays them just fine.
HEVC size is 0,3 to 0,5 the AVC size, encoded with equivalent presets, and results are very identical.
And the profile Still image ââ,¬Â¦ for music ââ,¬Å"videoââ,¬Â file with just slide images, super.

But twice the time to encode, and too few equipments to use it.

i.e., DVB :
in France, DVB-T is intended to stay for a while, this implies AVC only.
Some countries was waiting DVB-T2, skipping over DVB-T, to go to digital, and will use soon HEVC.
Official broadcasting tests in French public array have confirm HEVC benefits over AVC.
But public implementations are delayed, for market/budget reasons, DVB-T must be used a bit, before to say goodbye to it (and AVC).

Network providers review their boxes around HEVC, traffic benefits are obvious .
Youtube, web TV, ââ,¬Â¦ everybody will.

Nevertheless, for me, below 1080p, H264 is the right one to use, for a year or two.
Finaly, the main benefit of HEVC video is the gain in size, not enough to leave H264 right now.

And above 1080, ââ,¬Â¦ I will consider new equipments, and HEVC, when they will come in force, in a year or two.

dosaris

if you'd like to see h.265 in AVIdemux you need to have a free encoder first.
AVIdemux  utilizes the excellent x.264 encoder.

To my knowledge a FREE x.265 doesn' exist (yet)

alex2016g

AQUAR is right.

VideoLAN, same people who make VLC player created a free software library and application for encoding video streams into the H.265/MPEG-H HEVC compression format, and is released under the terms of the GNU GPL.

Its called X265

Can be downloaded HERE

I havent managed to install it into Avidemux yet but will try later on. If anyone has done it already please share your experience.

Jan Gruuthuse

Developer intervention is needed to have this working in avidemux. Endusers can do nothing at this stage, just wait for implementation.

twinsun

When I wrote "I have some encoded one", I meant "I have encoded some".

And in fact, I used X265 to encode, not H265.

It's my own experience I shared, and personally, based on this, I still will use X264 (and avidemux) for a while.

alex2016g

Quote from: KoolAidMan on November 20, 2014, 05:12:42 AM
Quote from: KoolAidMan on November 20, 2014, 03:15:45 AM
Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 11, 2014, 03:57:33 PM
Developer intervention is needed to have this working in avidemux. Endusers can do nothing at this stage, just wait for implementation.

I looked at the header file for x264 and compared it with x265, and it looks like one would be able to port the x264 plugin to support the x265 library with a moderate amount of effort.

Off the top of my head, the following changes are required:

• x264_param_t -> x265_param
  • x264_t -> x265_encoder
  • x264_picture_t -> x265_picture
  • x264_nal_t -> x265_nal
  • We need to add options for new motion estimation algorithm, Star search.
  • Many of the analyise partition search options in x264 are no longer available in x265
  • x265 no longer has a 'fast first pass' option
  • Other subtle differences

I started porting the x264 plugin last night to use x265, and should have something which can compile soon. I'll upload what I have to github once I have it compiling, and will continue to update it until it works reasonably well.

Update:

It turns out Avidemux still uses the ffmpeg 1.2.x branch. x265 support is not available in this branch, so we will have to upgrade to at least 2.2.x or higher. I am revising my original speculation that this is a moderate amount of effort to this being a difficult task. FFMpeg is core to avidemux, and the version which avidemux uses is heavily patched. One will have to determine whether the patches are still necessary when updating ffmpeg to 2.2.x.

Thanks for the update, looks like it will be a much bigger job then expected. So what do you need to get this thing started? more people? technical support?
Unfortunately I won't be much help myself as I have never done anything like this, but I bet there are people out there who would be able to help.

mean

There were some changes around vdpau with the 2.x branch that requires some work for avidemux to work fine with it

mean

Thanks, i'll try to check that tomorrow
I'll probably do a release really soon , so that it will be in the next one

Nik

thanks for your work!

sounds kinda great! :)
looking forward for any "offical" builds :)

Jan Gruuthuse

mean

Looks good
Something maybe incorrect
Used to be

context->extradata blah blah
WrapOpen(xxx)

Now it is

WrapOpen(xxx)
context->extradata

So the extra data might be initialized after codec is opened

mean