Why are many encoding parms for AVC/H.264 disabled?

Started by pstein, March 30, 2015, 03:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pstein

I try to encode a dragged MKV video with AVC/H.264.

When I go into "Configure" for video part then many of the shown encoding options on the tabs are disabled.

E.g. "Maximum Constant Rate Factor" on "Advanced RC" tab
or "Quantiser Curve Compression" on "Quantiser" tab
or "Pixel Aspect Ratio" the "As Input" radio button

Why?

How can I enable them?

Peter

zakk

I think it's not implemented yet. You can do your encodings with Avidemux 2.5 and keep Avidemux 2.6 to change container only.

poutnik

It is strange, as it is matter of providing CLI parameters to CLI based X264 encoder, based either on ADM GUI switches, either on custom CLI parameters input (not offered even in greyed GUI  ).

AQUAR

No strange at all for a program that is under development.

Everything takes time, effort and be subject to resource constraints.
So maybe easy to do - but someone has to do it.

poutnik

Quote from: AQUAR on April 11, 2015, 01:20:42 PM
No strange at all for a program that is under development.

Everything takes time, effort and be subject to resource constraints.
So maybe easy to do - but someone has to do it.

This is self obvious, but developing GUI for these option is most of work to be done, and is done for very long time.
In resource limited development is is unwise and not efficient
to start developing something and than to left it unfinished, but in place.

Jan Gruuthuse

Perhaps not so obvious and so easy as you propose
- 2.8.6 is grown from 2.5.6
- not all options are available (probable) because
-- 2.8.6 is not frame but time based
-- possible usage of different encoders (hardware accelerated or not)
-- developer(s) prerogative: choices are made

zakk

AQUAR

End user opinions regarding the state of completion of a beta program may well vary.

Mine is - I just don't find it strange that a beta program has areas that are incomplete.

IMHO - The reasons for why this and that doesn't yet work resides with those that develop this product.

End users have several options to steer the direction and speed of advancing this program.
. Pay for the job
. Roll up your sleeves, join the development team and do the job (afterall it is open source).
. Use persuasion to motivate the devopment team to work on the job.
. Nag and over simplify the job (and probably get ignored!)

poutnik

@Jan  :  It IS obvious that "for a program that is under development, everything takes time, effort and be subject to resource constraints. So maybe easy to do - but someone has to do it."

It is X264 config and for now, X264 is frame based, is not it ?

x264 HW encoder options can be managed by the profiles and levels. My experience with H264 HW encoders is they are very inferior,  without implemented H264 High profile, but things may change.

I am not a complainer, I just in long term do not understand ADM development and especially user feedback management policy. I do not have such impression at other software when I provide feedback or contact developers.

@AQUAR: I don't find it strange that a beta program has areas that are incomplete either. I just wonder in this particular case.

But I personally do not miss those options in ADM. I am usually happy with X264 speed profiles + H264 levels + I use other solutions that are optimal for me to do the encodings. I use ADM merely just as a lossless cutter, where it makes a great job. :-)

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: poutnik on April 15, 2015, 12:07:45 PM
Quotex264 is a free MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 encoder, Avidemux can use x264 for H.264 encoding.
x264 is: A software library. Implementation of the MPEG-4 AVC specification.
x264 is not: A format. You don't create ââ,¬Å"x264 videoââ,¬Â or ââ,¬Å"x264 filesââ,¬Â, you don't encode ââ,¬Å"to x264ââ,¬Â. x264 creates H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) video.
source: @ bottom of the page: x264
Avidemux 2.6.# is time based and not frame based.

mean

poutnik

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on April 15, 2015, 04:13:21 PM
Quote from: poutnik on April 15, 2015, 12:07:45 PM
Quotex264 is a free MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 encoder, Avidemux can use x264 for H.264 encoding.
x264 is: A software library. Implementation of the MPEG-4 AVC specification.
x264 is not: A format. You don't create ââ,¬Å"x264 videoââ,¬Â or ââ,¬Å"x264 filesââ,¬Â, you don't encode ââ,¬Å"to x264ââ,¬Â. x264 creates H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) video.

Avidemux 2.6.# is time based and not frame based.

I do know that all.  :-)    But both H264 as format specification and X264 as encoder are frame based.
And ADM contains X264 configuration.

Quote from: mean on April 16, 2015, 05:26:55 PM
Simple : Lack of time

That is understandable, of course. 
But in such a case, is not better to finish open things before implementing new ones ?

AQUAR

@ poutnik
There is a saying "You can't know what You don't know".
At some point you have to accept things as they are.

ADM frame base or time base methodologies are about getting to video frame points for editing purposes.
ADM 2.6 is time based and therefore has restrictions wrt these editing purposes.
How/if that impacts on the various AVC recoding options I don't know.
Jan thinks it has such consequences and Mean would know for sure.

poutnik

Sure, OTOH, one can know what one knows.  :-)

My questions are not consequence of not being able to accept things as they are.
I am fine with, if X264 config stays in beta stage, as it will not be the first nor the last part.   :-)

AQUAR

I think you missed the point of the saying (but it doesn't matter!).

ADM is in the hands of Mean and the occasional Co-Developers.
And how it will shape up is anyones guess (unless Mean has a crystal ball!).

All said and done, it would be nice to see these AVC configuration options "ungrayed".